Friday 1 August 2014

"Insanity is wasting your life as a nothing when you have the blood of a killer flowing in your veins."


Oh god that poster is so cheesy and bad. This movie would deserve better. Also I kinda disagree with the "fantasy" genre, but I have to use it. I mean the movie had kinda more "slipstream" feeling (a bit of fantasy themes, but not really fantasy story), but I can't tag movies as slipstream. That is a very, very, very minor genre. I'm not that exact about all the genres. (I don't even use Crime as a genre)

Wesley lives a pathetic life as an account manager - his job sucks, he knows his best friend is fucking his girlfriend and he suffers from panic attacks. Then he finds out he's a son of an assassin, who was one of the bests before he got killed. Wesley learns about organisation called  Fraternity. The man who killed Wesley's father, used to be part of Fraternity. The only man capable of killing this man, Cross, was Wesley's father. This is why Fraternity starts to train Wesley - to kill Cross.

Argh I feel like this summary is not good enough. But then again, looking through the summaries available, nothing is good enough. It's because summaries can't spoil. That's a real shame. Because Wanted seemed to have a very simple idea, so it seemed like the movie would be short. But no, there was always something new, and it went on. I liked that. I like that kind of stuff more than "this is the main motivator of the character, this is it, there's nothing else for you to know". Yeah.

I kinda thought that Wanted would be a simple action movie. That's what I thought because I hadn't read about it from anywhere. So when I realised it was about assassins, I was hyped. Hey, I've been playing Skyrim for the whole summer, and I love the Dark Brotherhood questline. Movie about assassins? Hell yeah.

Well anyway, Wanted wasn't a simple action movie. And I liked that. It was kinda different, which is what you really need in an action movie. Sure, even if an action movie isn't that special, you can watch it several times. But if it stands out, it's really fucking good. That's kinda what I like about action genre. It works almost always. But now... Wanted actually surprised me in lot of parts, because of what I expected. Sure, not all those surprises were good, some were a little bit disappointing and... well, kinda obvious. Obvious in the way of "come on this plot twist is getting old", etc.

But mostly what made Wanted stand out was the progress of the character. Wesley wasn't a "true action hero" from the start, no. He was really bad. But he evolved from that. And it wasn't like. "Now you're kinda bad but whoops, 5 minute footage of training and you are amazing!" It was slower, it was a bit more realistic. Also well, James McAvoy stands out among other men starring in action movies. I mean usually action heroes are tall, very muscular, handsome in the typical Hollywood -way or more like very macho, like Bruce Willis -type. But then there's little McAvoy, 170 cm and cute as fuck. Not a very likely action star, but damn, he played that role well. He's really good.

The music in this movie was really good. Not special, but it was well used. There was one time that the music really stood out, and I liked that. One of those action scenes. It was like BOOM. It reminded me of the Deadpool game.  I'm kinda disappointed that I can't seem to find the soundtrack from anywhere. 

Anyway, here I go with the stars:

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
8 / 10

(Note: The rating was edited on 21st of February on 2015 after thinking more about the movie)

No comments:

Post a Comment