Saturday 6 December 2014

"Remember who the real enemy is."


Even after winning, The Hunger Games still haunt Katniss and Peeta. They have to go on a tour around the districts. Also President Snow gives Katniss a warning, that if Katniss' love for Peeta isn't convincing enough, he might just have to kill her family and friends. Also it's soon time for 75th The Hunger Games, and something really special is being planned for the quarter quell. 

When I first saw The Hunger Games and Mockingjay I fell in love with them at once. But Catching Fire actually took three times before I truly recognised how amazing it was. I can only guess why that is. I'd say it's because the director changed between The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, but Catching Fire and Mockingjay had the same director. So I'm going to have a wild guess that I wasn't used to Francis Lawrence in Catching Fire, but in Mockingjay I was already sort of used to his style. I have no idea. Also maybe Francis Lawrence's style was more "suitable" for Mockingjay than Catching Fire. I mean Catching Fire had so many similarities to The Hunger Games, because the Games still are there. Maybe the director could have more of his touch on Mockingjay, since they didn't have to follow Gary Ross' idea of the Games etc. I have no idea, but maybe this is so.

I wouldn't want to compare three books (or the movies) since Catching Fire and Mockingjay aren't sequels, but just the same story. But still I think I'm starting to like Catching Fire more than The Hunger Games. The rebellion is much stronger in this one than the first book / movie. I'm really starting to like the rebellion more than the arena stuff. Maybe it's because I'm growing more mature, and I now understand what The Hunger Games trilogy is truly about. 

They left out a lot of stuff from the book, and I understand why. You can't have every little detail there. But it almost bothers me how they kept all the kissing scenes. Katniss isn't in love with either Gale or Peeta. I mean I understand the kisses between Peeta and Katniss whenever there's a camera on them. But there were about three kisses between Katniss and Gale. I understand the first two. But the third one... I don't remember that from the book (which I'm currently reading, and though I'm not at that part yet I have a feeling that kiss is not in the book). Maybe it was there to make up for how they don't let the viewers know Katniss' thoughts. At one point Katniss thinks in the book: "Gale is mine. I am his. Everything else is unthinkable." But if I remember correctly that thought didn't really evolve much, it was only how Katniss thought her place was fighting for the rebellion side by side with Gale. That thought didn't make it to the movie. But a kiss doesn't really cover that. They made Katniss just look like she was is love with Gale. That's not how it is. And these kind of additions only make the media focus more on stupid questions like "Team Peeta or Team Gale?" This makes me sort of angry. Katniss is a fighter, she has no time for a love triangle, this is bullshit. 

Like I do understand that Gale loves Katniss and so does Peeta. I have nothing against that. But Katniss doesn't really love either one of them, not the way they would want to. Not the way the media likes to make it look.

But the best thing in Catching Fire is how they introduce more victors. I mean that is interesting. We know how the games and winning affected Katniss and Peeta, and maybe Haymitch. But now we have more faces to look at, though most stuff is told better in Mockingjay, especially for Finnick. If I have to choose a favourite character amongst the victor and not count Katniss, I'd go with Johanna Mason. Amazing character, and I'm looking forward to Mockingjay pt. 2, if we'll see more of her in that.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
8 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment