Monday 23 February 2015

Academy Awards 2015

Sadly, I was boycotting Oscars by not watching - which is something I do every year, and it's not like my boycotting is influencing anything. So I have no comment on the show itself, but of course I do have something to say about the winners.

First of all I'm glad that fascist white propaganda movie they call American Sniper didn't win anything but one award, and it was one of the least meaningful awards to be honest. And to be even more honest, it would'be been better if it hadn't won anything at all. I think it was a mistake to even think it was worth the nominations - too many Muslims have felt unsafe because of the movie, and too many people have been actually assaulted because of the movie. So it's total crap propaganda about how great it is to kill Muslims. I want you to read this on American Sniper. I don't know if it's the best one of those, but still. 

And then, I'm so glad Birdman (Or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) won The Best Picture. Also best cinematography and original screenplay and direction. Funnily enough, as I said at the end of my review:

  • "If Birdman doesn't win Best Picture or Best Directing or Best Cinematography, then I guess I don't know as much about movies as I'd like to."

Now I can safely say I know just as much about movies as I thought. So I'm not being pretentious and that's a relief. Anyway, I could quote through my whole review, because I've commented almost every part that it won. I'm not so sure if I talked about direction, but direction defines basically everything in the movie, so I have no idea why it should mentioned separately. 

But still, Alejandro González Iñárritu did one hell of a job directing Birdman. It truly is one of the most astonishing films I've ever seen, and deserves all the awards. Then again, I was hoping for Michael Keaton to catch Actor In A Leading role. 

And this leads us to Eddie Redmayne winning Actor In A Leading Role, for his role as Stephen Hawking. I was guessing that, but then again it wasn't really surprising. Basically Redmayne and Keaton were the only ones in this category that could've won and for reasons, but Redmayne seemed more likely to be a winner than Keaton. I haven't seen The Theory Of Everything yet, and I'm not sure if I will. I've always admired Stephen Hawking, which is why I get very emotional over movies about him. 

I'm also glad for the fact that Julianne Moore won Actress In A Leading Role. I was really hoping for her to, however I was also ready to bet on Rosamund Pike for her role in Gone Girl. I haven't seen Moore's performance in Still Alice - I meant to see the movie, but the audio wasn't working when we tried. The nominees in this category were a lot better than in Best Actor, but still it was easy to bet on Moore, Pike. I also had a strong feeling about Reese Witherspoon, but I'm really glad it was Moore who won, because she is excellent actress, and one of my favourites.

Actor In Supporting Role went for J. K. Simmons in Whiplash. I haven't seen that movie, but I've seen clips. J. K. Simmons seemed to truly deserve his award, I'm not saying anything otherwise. Of course I'm a bit disappointed, but I was only rooting for my favourite actor in this category, but I really didn't think he'd win it. My friend Lotta was sure about J. K. Simmons, so I went with it. Actress In Supporting Role went for Patricia Arquette for her role in Boyhood. I hadn't really heard about her, I mean she didn't seen familiar. She has been in True Romance, a movie based on Quentin Tarantino's screenplay, but nothing else seems something I should know. Am I just not aware of something, or is she not as "big" as the others? Anyway, at this point I was rooting and betting for Emma Stone (for Birdman) and Meryl Streep (Into the Woods)

At this point it's good to point out that all these nominees for Actor or Actress in whatever role were white. Not a single person of colour was nominated for best actor / actress. And from what I recall (I'm too lazy to check, and I know that's a mistake, someone correct me if I'm wrong) Alejandro González Iñárritu was the only director that wasn't white. Also none of the directors were women. Way to be racist and sexist, Academy.*

So that's about that. That were the (most important) winners this year. Now let's hope this year of films will be even better, and let the nominees be more exciting next year.

Sources:

* Of course there's more to this. This might also be something interesting to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment