Monday 16 February 2015

"Chaos is what killed the dinosaurs, darling."


Veronica Sawyers is trying to be a part of the most popular girls. all called Heather, in school, when she meets J.D. They accidentally kill the most popular Heather, and they try to make it look like a suicide. J.D. however thinks one kill like this isn't enough.

I don't know why I decided to watch Heathers now. I guess I've been in Heathers -kind of mood for a while, I just didn't know if I'd watch it or not. I watched Clueless last night, but had nothing to say about it, so should I re-watch a movie and probably not write anything? Well, here I am writing, so at least I'm doing something.

And yes, I'm doing a review of Heathers again. I just truly love this movie and I have only seen it once, well twice now. It's such a cult-classic, and it's so wonderfully written. Heathers is so very quotable. There are so many phrases I'd like to start using on a daily basis: "How very", "Fuck me gently with a chainsaw", "What is your damage". All of those quotes are so fucking brilliant. They are awfully normal, but they still are somehow so great. True, many of these lines are usually used by soft-grunge blogs on Tumblr, and the quotes are usually surrounded by small moons and all kind of "grungy" symbols.

I actually noticed something this time, and didn't write about it last time. In Heathers suicide is sort of romanticised. No, not the way that audience would start romanticising suicide, but some characters are very much romanticising the shit out of suicide. Some people are even excited about suicides in the school, and then it actually becomes a sort of trend, it's sickening. And I thank the writers that Veronica thinks it's sickening. Otherwise this movie would be heartless and just inappropriate. But I think the way this movie handles suicide is one of the things that gives Heathers its disturbing charm. I don't know if that's a good thing or not, some may not like it, but somehow it makes this movie what it is.

Heathers may not be so girl-positive movie, which is actually a really nice thing about high school movies. It's wonderful when girls are friends and don't hate on each other. Veronica doesn't seem to like any of the Heathers, except maybe the cheerleader one a bit. Then again she did start to be sweet to her old friend and that girl who tried to commit suicide. But what about the guys? Most guys are showed as mindlessly horny, with two exceptions: that guy who tried to work for donations to Africa, and J.D. Well, J.D. didn't seem mindlessly horny, but then again he seemed like a total psycho.

I really like this movie, still. But it's just hard to come up with things to write in a review. It would be easier to do a proper analysis on some things, this is that kind of a movie. Still good, great even.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
8 / 10


No comments:

Post a Comment