Sunday 1 February 2015

"I'm a ghost with the most, babe."


A couple realises they are dead, and their house is taken over by a new family. They want them to leave, but can't scare them on their own, so they have to rely on a "bio-exorcist".

If there's one thing to say about Beetlejuice, it's utterly ridiculous movie. The humour in this movie varies. There's dark humour because of the death and everything. And of course there's weird and gross, perverted humour coming from Betelgeuse. When I was younger I felt almost uncomfortable with that, but nowadays, well, I guess since I'm older and seen a lot of stuff in movies, it doesn't even bother me anymore. 

I love the effects in this movie. Of course the movie was made in the 80s and, well, special effects weren't what they are now, but I loved them. Especially because they used a lot of that stop-motion doll thing, that Burton has used in The Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride. Of course in Beetlejuice that stop-motion technique was different since it wasn't used all the time, In Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride that technique is truly marvellous, and it's wonderful to look at, but when it's used just a little, it's cool but also kind of clumsy and gawky. The difference between the actual actors and the effects is so clear it's almost too clear. Of course it's a nice change from the effects of these days. I don't really now what to think about it.

I truly love Winona Ryder's character Lydia. Her character says some really sappy things are 14-year-old (I think) might not really say, not out loud, but I truly love her. And the costume department truly did magnificent job on her clothing, I mean I'd like to have all those outfits. Also Betlegeuse's outfits were cool. 

I can't really say much about Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis. I mean they did an alright job as Adam and Barbara, but I don't know, they were simply deccent. Winona Ryder was truly adorable and fantastic as Lydia, and I think she's becoming one of my favourite actresses. And then there's Michael Keaton. It truly is weird watching Beetlejuice because it's hard to see Keaton under all the make up. I just mostly stare at him and think "Is it truly Michael Keaton? Maybe I've been tricked." But he does wonderful job, he is absolutely ridiculous.

I like the story a lot, but I have a feeling there could be so much more. I did hear about a possible sequel, but apparently it wouldn't be directed by Burton. I don't actually mind, since I'm not that interested in Burton. Apparently Winona Ryder is confirmed (I have no idea where people get this information because I don't find anything), but Michael Keaton isn't. If there will be a sequel, and if Keaton's not in it, then I'm probably not going to see it. Sure, it might be interesting and even good, but I can't really see anybody else as Beetlejuice. If anyone else would do it, it would feel like a cheap copy of the original.

☆☆☆☆☆
5 / 10



No comments:

Post a Comment