Friday 6 February 2015

"Hold me." "I can't."


A story about Edward, an incomplete man with scissors as his hands, who has lived in solitude in a big house since. Then he is found and he gets a chance to live within more or less ordinary people in an ordinary neighbourhood.

Edward Scissorhands is the second movie I saw directed by Tim Burton. The first one was Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, which was one of my favourite childhood movies. Charlie And The Chocolate Factory was so magical through the eyes of a 10-year-old. And then about two years later I saw Edward Scissorhands for the first time, and it was so amazing. It was also magical, but in a different way. Of course Edward Scissorhands has that magic that appeals to young people, but it's still magical even if you are 18 or even 50. 

One thing that makes the movie amazing how Edward is surprisingly relatable. Of course not literally, none of us has scissors as hands etcetera, and most of us aren't first admired and then suddenly despised. No, but Edward is an outsider, and even if we aren't always outsiders, how often do 12-year-olds and kids older than that feel that? I know I have, probably since I started going to the school. So even though our stories might not be like Edward's, we can strongly relate to outsiders, if we've ever felt that way. And of course there's the fact that Edward's easy to like. He's cute, very simple, but he has a pure heart. He's... well, he's human.

The movie is very easy on the eye. There is very much of that certain darkness Burton's movies tend to have, but also there are many bright colours, pastel colours. Especially all the houses and cars and clothing of the people living in the neighbour. What's mostly dark, it's Edward's clothing and the castle he used to live in - and of course any time it's night etcetera. But the colours and lighting are so wonderfully used. I could really like cinematography in Burton's movies, if there was just something more unique in it. Like it's pretty basic, apart from that atmosphere that the emo kids (and my dad) seem to like. 

I do like the music, it's something that makes me tear up even if I wasn't watching the movie. Of course Danny Elfman is someone who is very overused in movies, I'm almost tired of him - and Hans Zimmer, and who else is there? There are so many that are in every third movie. Where are the more unique movie composers? Doing music for indie movies? Well I hope they are enjoying their work.

Edward Scissorhands may be the only movie that makes me cry every time I watch it. If I'm completely honest, I don't even understand why some people wouldn't cry. Sure, sure, people like different things and blah blah, but Edward Scissorhands, no matter how lovely it is, it's also so cruel and heart-wrenching. 

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
8 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment