Wednesday 22 April 2015

"I know you're good people. I know you mean well. But you just didn't think it through. There is only one path to peace... your extermination."


Year: 2015
Director: Joss Whedon
Writer: Joss Whedon, Stan Lee & Jack Kirby (Comic books / Creators)

I'm loving how the poster says May 1st, while here I am, 22nd of April, and I've just seen the film. Thankfully I don't live in the US. 

Tony Stark tries to make a program to preserve earth, but the program, Ultron, doesn't give in to Stark's plans. Ultron sees the only way to have peace is to destroy Avengers and the human race. 

I've mostly lost my hope to Marvel Studios, they haven't given me anything really good in a while. The only reason why I wanted to see this new movie was because of the Maximoff twins and James Spader as Ultron. I have a feeling I should've paid more attention to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, though. I haven't seen Captain America: The Winter Soldier, so I felt like I was completely unaware of past events, even though I basically have read everything there is to know, because Internet loves to tell everything about everything. 

What bothers me most in Joss Whedon's writing is the really cheesy jokes. They work on most of the audience, but mostly I find the quick jokes just cheap, and not that funny. Otherwise Whedon's writing is decent. It's not brilliant, but hey, you don't need to be the next Shakespeare to write decent sci-fi action? Of course I have other problems with Whedon, but let's not go there now. But the plot was basically very simple, and the structure was very similar to the first one, though I wasn't expecting some really complicated, mind-blowing plot. 

Like my friend pointed out, the fight scenes seemed much clearer in this movie than in the first Avengers. It was easier to keep track on what was going on, even though fight scenes are always messy, when there are more than one people fighting at the same time. I don't know what was different this time, even though we had a theory on that (depends on when Disney bought Lucas Films). It was easier to see things during the fights, and it didn't matter even if your thoughts were lost for a while, it was still easy to know what was going on and where and with / between who.

Ultron is a very interesting villain, but he wasn't as scary as I was kind of hoping to be. I wanted a villain that was somehow easy to hate, mostly because of what happened with Loki. Everyone loved him and excused his actions, it was really... boring, almost. That's why I wanted someone no one could find excuses for. I don't know if I got that. Ultron's motives were somehow easy to understand, but still I think he was made a bit too likeable. The character was almost funny and too humane. Still, I have a feeling people won't go too easy on this villain now. James Spader voice was magnificent, and really suits a scary character, well, would've suited to a scarier character too. 

One other really bothering thing is the changes in Wanda and Pietro Maximoff. Nobody mentions Magneto, they aren't mutants, hell, they weren't even born with their powers! I get it, Fox has the rights for X-men stuff, but still it's annoying. It's like they tried to just create new characters, with same names and powers, though Wanda's powers weren't even the same. They didn't even try to have anything from their original backstory. Think about it, children of Magneto, a holocaust survivor, working for Neo-Nazi organisation? In what universe does that make any kind of sense? Well, Quicksilver has now been in both X-men and Avengers universes. Which one is better? He's funnier in X-men, and he just works better in X-men. I really couldn't choose between Evan Peters and Aaron Taylor-Johnson, both are perfectly alright actors, and well, Aaron Taylor-Johnson probably worked with what he had. I don't know how can you impress with a small role like that? (Though Peters did impress even though it was a small role.)

I really don't know what to say about all the characters we already know. They are pretty much like they've always been. Everyone's angsty, someone tries to be funny, all that. This time, though, we got a bit more out of Natasha, which was great. Where is her movie?

There were some exciting moments, and funny moments, and completely surprising moments, that I definitely didn't see coming. There were some pseudo-deep moments, that didn't really seem too real, they just seemed like words, nothing more. I don't even think it was because of the actors, I think it might've just been the writing. I don't know, maybe all are somehow contributing to that. But even worse than the deep moments, the forced romance. Why? Why did they need to put that there, this movie would've worked fine without it. It just felt... clumsy. 

Avengers Age Of Ultron was decent. I wasn't expecting too much, so I didn't get disappointed, but I didn't find it that good either. I liked it somewhat, but I've seen better. This movie is still worth watching, because you probably can't otherwise keep up with the universe.

☆☆☆☆☆
5 / 10

If you want to know my opinion on something else, drop a comment and ask. I couldn't take notes in the theatre, so I wasn't really that prepared for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment