Wednesday 8 April 2015

"What is this? A center for ants?"


Year: 2001
Director: Ben Stiller
Writers: Drake Sather, Ben Stiller, John Hamburg

A clueless fashion model Derek Zoolander loses the award of Male Model of the year to his rival Hansel. After Zoolander decides to retire, a controversial fashion designer Mugatu gives him an amazing deal - but Zoolander doesn't know he's being brainwashed to kill the Malaysian prime minister.

Zoolander is one of those movies that I watch so I can understand so many references I've seen online. Also because it seemed so absolutely ridiculous that I had to see it, just to make sure it's really bad.

And of course the movie was absolutely ridiculous, right from the start, and that's necessarily a bad thing. It would've been bad, if they would've tried to make some sort of deep and meaningful ending the viewers would learn something from. Those endings tend to ruin a perfectly and ridiculously hilarious movie. But no, Zoolander was hilarious all the way, and that was magnificent. 

Of course few things ruin the hilariousness a bit. I mean no matter how hilarious Zoolander was, it wasn't really original. Naturally some jokes were, but it used the clichés and stereotypes the fashion industry is full of. Dumb models, for example, haven't we be using them enough. Okay, in this case, maybe that cliché hasn't been used so much on male models, I don't know, but models in general it's been used way too much. But of course putting fashion industry behind political assassinations was hilarious and sort of original. But majority of jokes were typical and not at all surprising.

But I gotta tip my hat off to the brilliant cameos. I don't even care for the rest, but the one with David Bowie? Amazing.

I don't really have much to say about this movie, but it was definitely a wild ride. I recommend this to anyone who hasn't seen it, though I'm pretty sure most people have, and I'm just late. But I'm definitely glad I saw this. 

☆☆☆☆☆☆
6 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment