Monday 20 April 2015

"You're killing people?" "No. I'm killing boys."


Year: 2009
Director: Kadyn Kusama
Writer: Diablo Cody

A bookworm Needy Lesnicki loses her best friend Jennifer during an accident at a local pub. But when Jennifer comes back, something seems terribly wrong. Jennifer has become a succubus, who starts killing guys in her school, and the only one who seems to know the truth about her is Needy.

When I started watching this movie, the beginning of it was somehow unexpected. I was waiting something way more clichéd. The start actually was much more interesting than I thought, so at least I wanted to sit through the whole thing. I mean from the first glance at the cover Jennifer's Body looks like a total Class B Teen Horror Movie, which would only be a total disaster. However, this movie turned out to be surprisingly good. 

For a horror movie, this movie wasn't too scary. There were several jumpscares, which the viewer is able to expect, but jumpscares are always a sort of cheesy way to scare people. Of course I'm not sure if I'm anybody to talk about movies being scary, I mean I'm glad this wasn't scary, otherwise I would've stayed up all night, I think. But I'm sure there are many viewers out there who would want this movie to be scarier. 

I love the writing and dialogue in this movie. If you've seen Juno, you can somehow imagine the phrases the characters use. Diablo Cody is magnificent at writing dialogue, even though her dialogue isn't that realistic, but it's fun, which I think is also important. Dialogue has to be either realistic or fun to be good, and this movie rocks in the dialogue department.

What I loved most about this movie was maybe Needy Lesnicki's character development. She was realistically scared in the movie, and I'm glad she didn't just suddenly become brave without a reason. No, she became angry, which is much more realistic in a way. I mean people don't just become brave just like that, usually some other feeling just has to overcome fear, and in this case, it was anger. It's always nice to have angry lady characters, usually anger is just given to men, and women are either scared or sad. And I'm glad Needy was both scared and angry, it gave the character some depth, I think.

And closer to the ending this movie had some really amazing angry energy to it. It was marvellous, and the odd but really cool choice of music added to the energy, it was great. 

So in sort, this movie was weirdly fun, somehow predictable, energetic... It was a lot better than I would've expected. I've seen better, anyone has seen better, but this movie was definitely worth watching. I mean I can now finally cross it out from my list.

☆☆☆☆☆☆
6 / 10

Also I'm going to ask movie recommendations again. I'm slowly running out of movies to watch, and most movies I haven't watched are something I've been avoiding for a while, even though I want to see them. So, send me a comment, tell me at least three of your favourite movies, and I'll promise to try to watch them. Nothing is off-limits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment