Saturday 11 April 2015

"I hope life on Earth is everything you remember it to be."


Year: 2009
Director: Duncan Jones
Writers: Duncan Jones, Nathan Parker

Sam Bell has a three year work contract on the moon, where he sends resources to earth for the power problems. He spends his time alone, with the computer GERTY, until he gets into a crash. He doesn't remember anything, and when he finally gets outside, he discovers something that will make him re-evaluate everything he thinks he knows about his job and his past and himself.

I mostly decided to watch Moon, because of Sam Rockwell. I'm really starting to like him as an actor, ever since Choke and Seven Psychopaths. But I think his performance in Moon might be his best performance yet.

The first thing I actually thought about this movie was how amazing the theme music was. It was slightly eerie and chilling yet enchanting, which is why it was perfect for this film, which turned out to be both. And the music was astonishing in it's simplicity. Apparently the score to this movie is composed by none other than Clint Mansell. Clint Mansell must be one of the best composers, his work is amazing in The Fountain and Black Swan, but his work in this movie was hauntingly beautiful, but yet so simple. The score of Moon might be now my favourite score. 

The writer(s) kept the story going smoothly from the beginning to the end. There wasn't a moment during the movie, when I would've felt bored or dissatisfied with the movie. I kept watching all the way through without getting frustrated with bad or typical writing or too basic directing. No, Moon was definitely well written and well directed. 

The story of Moon kept me on the edge of my seat. It was suspenseful, but not too much - after all, Moon wasn't science fiction horror, it was a drama. So it didn't have any kind of jump scares, which is definitely a plus. Most importantly, this movie actually made me feel confused just the right way. Not confused, like "I have no idea what is going on, I'm going to quit this right now", but the way I had to see things unravel, bit by bit. And it was definitely worth it to sit through the whole thing and finally get clear answers. But when I finally got the answers, the story still developed, which was marvellous: the point of the movie wasn't just finding answers to all the questions you asked yourself while watching, but everything had to resolve too.  Moon was mysterious, suspenseful and touching. It was definitely an emotive movie.

So, emotions, check. What about thoughts? Was Moon thought provoking? Absolutely. This is how I think science fiction should be. It should not be just action and blasting with guns. Compared to Star Wars kind of science fiction Moon was almost delicate. Yes, it was about science, but it was about the questions we have to ask about science. Can we do this? Maybe we can, but should we? Is it morally right to do this? This is exactly what I want when I am watching or reading science fiction. I want something deep, ethical questions, anything.

I honest to god can't think of anything I don't like about Moon. Everything just clicked, the story, the cinematography, the music, the pace, the cast, which was mostly Sam Rockwell and Kevin Spacey as GERTY... But still, Moon was an amazing experience, and will definitely be one of my favourite movies. 

I recommend Moon to everyone who likes science fiction and thought provoking movies, and especially thought provoking science fiction. Absolutely beautiful movie.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
10 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment