Friday 3 April 2015

"We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it, that's all."


Year: 1985
Director & Writer: John Hughes

Five high school students, all different stereotypes, meet in detention, where they pour their hearts out to each other, and discover how they have a lot more in common than they thought.

When I sat down to watch this movie, I mostly had one question in mind: is The Breakfast Club overrated?

Mostly what this movie has been praised for is the story and the writing. Though some of the praise would make you more think, what writing? It's said of a lot of scene how they were ad-libbed. I am quite suspicious of many of those claims, I mean if they all were true, basically it would mean there'd be only very little on the script, and that the actors and actresses were just thrown into the situation. I believe some of the scenes were ad-libbed, but definitely not everything. 

Of course the very idea of the story is good, well, now it has become a classic. I mean members of different cliques or stereotypes thrown in together... And of course I like the idea. It's the kind of idea you can get gems out of. And, well, John Hughes did get gems out of the idea. Some of the scenes were very touching and real in the way that it doesn't just feel like scripted bullshit mumbled by only decent actors. They felt real, and that's what's important.

But  apart from few deep and touching and funny scenes, The Breakfast Club was sometimes incredibly boring. It was kind of disappointing. I'm not a big fan of 80s movies, apart from Heathers, which is amazing, but I was sort of hoping for The Breakfast Club to be more amazing than it was. I probably was expecting too much, or maybe I'm too old to get it. Well, too old compared to the characters I mean.

So all in all, I wouldn't say The Breakfast Club is overrated. It's written well, and it's somehow so very truthful in the dialogue and everything. Of course there is clichés, but I can definitely understand why people like it, even though I wouldn't be so thrilled.

☆☆☆☆☆☆
6 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment