Tuesday 7 July 2015

"If I don't get home before 8, she puts on the sweatpants. And once the sweatpants are on, I get nothing."


Year: 2009
Director & Writer: Mike Judge

"Joel, the owner of an extract plant, tries to contend with myriad personal and professional problems, such as his potentially unfaithful wife and employees who want to take advantage of him."
- Summary written by Anonymous

I've spent most of the summer watching That 70's Show and Arrested Developement. I was looking through Netflix and I found this movie, and I got interested because it has both Jason Bateman and Mila Kunis in it. And since I haven't written reviews in July at all, I thought I need to watch something, so I chose Extract.

This movie had many actors and actresses I knew. Well, I mention Bateman and Kunis earlier, but there also were Kristen Wiig, Ben Affleck, J. K. Simmons Clifton Collins Jr... It was weird seeing some of them working together, I mean I never thought I'd see Affleck and Bateman in same movie, I don't know why. But they really did work well together, and I think those casting choices made the movie more interesting. When you've seen Bateman mostly in comedies and Affleck in more serious movies, it makes the audience quite unsure on what to expect from a scene where they both are together. 

The story and plot were interesting, and I loved how many different things were happening at once. Also it was much more interesting than the summary made me think. Also there were a lot of characters the viewer didn't get to hear about a lot, like Kunis' character is still kind of a mystery to me.

Extract somehow reminded me of Leaves Of Grass, because this one too somehow looked and sounded like it could be a TV movie or a TV show. It's something about the cinematography and the music. They were both just fine, by the way. I especially enjoyed how they used the music during those few scenes with the gigolo Brad. 

There was all kind of humour in this movie. There was little bit of everything. That could work, but usually it just makes a certain viewer to respond some kind of humour, and not everything.

This movie is easy to watch. It doesn't require much thinking and pondering over the subjects and all. Also it wasn't too emotive. In fact it might've been too little emotive, since I guess I'm not feeling much anything after the movie. 

Extract had a lot of potential. It's a decent flick, but it left me quite cold. Technically it's well made and it has decent actors, good writing and all that. But for some reason it doesn't live up to that potential it has.

☆☆☆☆☆
5 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment