Saturday 25 July 2015

"Skrinkle begat Skroddle and Skrinkle and Skroddle were the Lego blocks of a strange new world he was building for us all. I Somehow, his dopey language caught on like his stupid parties."


Year: 2003
Directosr: Fenton Bailey & Randy Barbato
Writers: Fenton Bailey & Randy Barbato, James St James (the book Disco Bloodbath)

Based on the true story of the fall of the club kid Michael Alig, and how he murdered a drug dealer and his roommate Angel Melendez.

I mostly wanted to watch this movie, because I used  to love it when I was about 12 years old (how fucked up was my taste in movies anyway?). Another reason was that it took me so long to realise Wilmer Valderrama was in this movie. When I first saw this movie, I watched in YouTube - no kidding in about 10 parts! - and there was even a notification or something like that, saying "Yes, that's Wilmer Valderrama", and I just realised that this year! Amazing... Also I kind of wanted  to see this again, because it wasn't too long ago that Michael Alig actually got released from prison, right?

There's something I should've read before watching the movie again, or maybe I need to do another review after reading that... But I have a copy of Disco Bloodbath and I've been wanting to read it. But James St. James' style is quite weird and when I got that book (I was 12) I didn't think I could read it. So, I don't know what's in the book, I don't know what really or "really" happened, I can't know which parts have been exaggerated. Maybe I should've done some proper research...

But oh, the characters and the dialogue seem so corny after all these years! A 12-year-old doesn't think about that so much but now... Some scenes and things and dialogue made me cringe a little. It's mostly how Michael Alig seemed in this movie. Again, I can't really know what Alig is really like, but in the movie the character seemed so immature, someone who had never truly grown up. I don't know if this is actual Michael Alig, or Macaulay Culkin's acting - or Macaulay Culkin himself!

Now that I'm talking about Macaulay Culking, it's time to appreciate the casting. Some choices are of course weird (Marilyn Manson, whose performance was apparently a spot on), but when you look at the big picture, it actually works. Everyone whose character matter in the story seems very good in their role. Maybe all of them don't seem realistic, but when the movie is like this anyway... it doesn't seem to matter.

What is the movie like then? It's hard to think it actually takes place in this very real world. It just seems so much more twisted and wonderful, like a really fucked up Wonderland, which turns out not to be so wonderful after all, but a really brutal one. 

The cinematography is colourful and almost playful, which affects that "fucked up  Wonderland" feeling a lot. But when the scenes were brutal and sad and all, the effects, filming and colouring were different. The cinematography in this movie is pure art, it's amazing on its own, but of course it's even more amazing. The music too is also amazing, and everything said about cinematography goes with the music too.

In short, Party Monster is an interesting film, even if you don't view it as a biography. It's peculiar and well-made, definitely worth seeing, even if it isn't the best movie made - after all it's not worth seeing many times, because the story is easy to learn by heart. There are several other movies about the subject, documentary/documentaries too. Maybe it would be more interesting to watch those, than this movie many times.

☆☆☆☆☆☆
6 / 10

1 comment:

  1. Michael speaks all about it on the @peeew via youtube costar Ernie Glam

    ReplyDelete