Tuesday 8 January 2013

"The lawyer is all yours."

I would love to say that I didn't do any new years resolutions. The fact is I did - few days late but still! I decided I would list all the new films I saw this year, and I would tell you something about everyone of them. And not just films but books as well. I bet you all I watch more films than I read books, even if the ones I've read before would count.
But so, we shall start.

We watched a Wallander film in Swedish class. The story and the movie seemed interesting, but you know what kinda ruined the whole thing? We had to watch it with Swedish subtitles, so I'm sure I didn't get something. And we also had to make a list of the characters and important scenes and stuff. So I couldn't just enjoy the film, because I had to search for names and little facts that could be useful - and try to think in Swedish. 

Anyway, Wallander is a familiar character, we've watched Wallander films in Swedish before, in middle school. There was this one movie that was particularly interesting, but we never finished it, and I don't remember its name.

This one was about... drug business, and - surprise, surprise - couriers. And I wish I could tell you more, but all my mental images about this movie are mixed with another movie that I went to see in cinemas yesterday. It was way more interesting, and I didn't have to understand Swedish to watch it.

***

I saw the trailer of Jack Reacher when I was about to see Looper. The bass in the trailer was so awesome and I wanted to see again. Aisha was kind enough to come watch it with me, even though she loathes Reacher.

But  I enjoyed the movie. Except that I was pretty sure that one character was played by Tom Hardy because Elli said it was him, so... But it wasn't Tom Hardy. My head is just so much in Dark Knight Rises, I can't help it.

But the plot was very interesting. And the movie was filled with action and adrenalin. Well, some may say that not enough, but dude, that was enough for me. And I hadn't seen Tom Cruise in any movie before. And I mean it, I hadn't seen him acting - ever. But he was pretty good as Reacher, I mean it kinda suited him? I can't say that "he's the only one who could play Reacher", because I'm sure somebody else would've been good too, but I thought that Cruise was brilliant, and I don't have a need to complain about how bad he was or how someone else would've been better. I think the casting was great. 

If you've seen the trailer, of read about the movie, or seen the book it was based on, you know the deal: James Barr is accused of shooting five people, but he asks for Jack Reacher. And while Barr lies in coma, Reacher comes and after a while he starts to think if Barr actually was guilty.

I don't know how Aisha doesn't like Reacher as a character. I mean, I don't want to say that she's wrong, I mean she has an opinion, but so do I. I think that Reacher was adorably arrogant and sassy. I especially loed the scene, where he tried to call Barr's lawyer, but the "bad guys" had her, and he talked to them, and he hung up, and called them again, and then after a while hung up again, I thought that was hilarious.

*****

Oh, and by the way, as I was saying about books... I'm currently reading Clockwork Orange. I've read it before, and I have seen the movie (two times), but it's still so fucking good. Anyone who likes reading, and has trouble to find something a bit different from all this fantasy and regular bullshit, Clockwork Orange is just brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment