Saturday 5 January 2013

list of 21 great movies in alphabetical order

1. (500) days of Summer

One of the very few "love stories" I like, even though this isn't one. I loved the story, it's more realistic than any other story, because in most of the stories, everything works. Here it doesn't, because they both are looking for something completely different. I especially loved this movie because of the actors: not just Joseph Gordon Levitt and Zooey Dechanel, but also Chloƫ Grace Moretz and Clark Gregg. Also the special effects were cool. Not that this kind of movie needs them, but I'm talking about the fact that when he arrived to her party, we could see expectations and reality at the same time. It was great.

2. A Clockwork Orange

I read the book for Finnish classes (actually I was supposed to read a normal detective story, by Finnish author but it was boring and I went with this instead), and I loved the book. Especially the translation of this is good, Moog Konttinen is a genius when it comes to translations. Well, the movie was translated by someone else, but it was very good also. Some parts were distressing, but I was still able to enjoy it. Malcolm McDowell was brilliant in this one, he's just perfect. I can't imagine anyone else playing Alex as well as he did, because he looked perfect for the role, his voice was perfect for Alex and he also acted it very well. I mean, you can't find all three easily from anyone else, if someone decided to make this film again. But yeah, who would do that, when Kubrick made a perfect film for a book?

3. Batman Begins

The first part of Dark Knight trilogy. This is the film that actually made me love Batman, because neither Tim Burton nor Schumacher made Batman's character brilliant or fascinating enough. Nolan understood something that they didn't. I wish I could tell you what it is, but I would need a bigger Batman fan to do that, and my dad is busy. I had difficulties to start Nolan's Batman trilogy, because I thought that Batman Begins would be so boring. The summary, or whatever, in the back of the DVD didn't sound tempting. But then I just watched it and wow - it was brilliant. All the respect I had for Michael Keaton's Batman vanished, when I saw Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne, it was... something new. 

4. Iron Sky

When Iron Sky started in Cinema, the first thought was "Wow, this is actually a Finnish movie". And yes, it indeed was. I usually don't feel very proud of my country, but on that moment I did. Because if any other country had this idea, it would've been... well, you can just imagine what it would've been like if it had been a Hollywood movie, if you know what I mean. But no, it was made by Finnish, German and Australians, and it was perfect. The idea is so fucking brilliant, it's so sick and idiotic, but it's still so brilliant. And they couldn't have done a better job, because that idea was so... fragile, that it could have been easily ruined. But no it wasn't.

5. Kick-Ass

I first saw this movie at my friend Sandra's birthday party. At first the movie seemed like a stupid, typical American comedy, but it was so much more than that. Because anyone who loves Superheroes can easily relate to Dace Lizewski's character. And the variation of different characters is brilliant, especially among the main characters, Dave, and then Big-Daddy and Hit-Girl, and Red Mist. Everyone is different, everyone is unique. And I'm so excited for the sequel. Hey, it has Jim Carrey in it!

6. Looper

I think Looper is also very underrated. I went to see this with Elli, and it was brilliant. Someone somewhere was complaining, how Joseph Gordon Levitt was copying Bruce Willis' way to act, but I think that's not just a bad thing, because if they are playing the same character, there has to be something same as well as something different, when they are older and younger. They had also made JGL look like Bruce Willis, and it was just brilliant. The plot was very interesting, and the end was something that at least Elli and I couldn't expect. I'm looking forward to have this one on DVD (or on my hard drive, since there's no room for anymore DVDs in my shelf)

7. Men in Black III

You could think that making a third Men in Black film would be just waste of money and time and everything, but it actually is my favourite one of MIB movies, because time travel, and Griffin was so sweet. We learned so many new things, like how K became K, about J's dad, and that Andy Warhol is actually an MIB agent and that Mick Jagger and Lady Gaga are aliens. And nothing in any other MIB movie can beat that "Mommy, president is drinking my milk" part. Will Smith will always be perfect as J, but now we learned that someone else can also play perfect K.

8. Micmacs

When people who were learning French or German went to see movies, the plot of this movie sounded so lame. "Main character dad steps into a landmine, and the main character gets a bullet in his head and he can die anytime, and as a pacifist he starts a fight against those people who made those mines and guns." That sounded so lame. But it wasn't lame, because the summary of the plot doesn't have all those little details and the humor that is actually in the movie. If you don't mind watching a movie in French, then I can just say that watch this, it was hilarious.

9. Party Monster

I can't even remember why I watched this movie, but I watched it from YouTube the first time. Then I wanted the movie, and I had to order it all the way from... UK or US, I can't even remember. It was pretty different than all the movies I watched then. I actually watched this last night with Sandra, after a long pause, and it was still pretty cool. I mean, Macaulay Culkin is perfect for Michael Alig's role, and Seth Green is perfect James st. James. I also have this book, but it's in English. And because all the Skink-la-da scrodle, it's really difficult to read.

10. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

I saw the trailer of this in theaters, and I said to Roosa "We need to see this", and she was like "Dude, it's on DVD already." So.. I bought it. Yes, I bought it before I saw it, but it was a win, because I really enjoyed it. And it's one of the very few movies my sister also watches with me. I love Scott, and I also love Ramona, they are so adorable together!

11. Sherlock Holmes: A game of shadows

Or, as we on the Internet know it, Sherlock Holmes: A gay of gay. Ok, that joke doesn't make sense to anyone, but it's OK. I prefer this to Sherlock Holmes, because this has more... sense in it. Ok, the other one is pretty cool too, but who made up the main villain in the first one? Seriously? Because in this one, it's Moriarty. And there's no one as great as Moriarty. The only thing missing from this is Irene Adler, but it seems that many people hate Irene, I don't know why. But this  movie is very enjoyable, UNTIL it comes to... The reichenbach. Reichenbach is the curse of every Sherlock Holmes fan, it doesn't matter which serie you watch or do you just read books, it's just a curse. It was a curse to even sir Arthur Conan Doyle, who would've wanted to end everything there, but he couldn't. At least the end of this gives us more hope than the final episode of season two of Sherlock.

12. Sleuth

I haven't even seen the original version of this, but I don't care, because Michael Caine and Jude Law are brilliant. The story is about two men, a writer Alan Wyke (Caine) and Milo Tindle (Law). Tindle is sleeping with Wyke's wife, and he comes to the house to ask for him to give his wife a divorce. Then everything develops into a game, where they try to outsmart and scare each other. I would love to see the original play on the stage, it would be brilliant. I think very few people has seen this... But this is brilliant.

13. The Dark Knight Rises

Do you know who is perfect? Bane is. The Dark Knight Rises is my favourite part of Dark Knight trilogy. I wish I had seen it at theaters, but yeah, it's too late. The Casting in this one is also so fucking perfect: Christian Bale (as always), Anne Hathaway, Tom Hardy, Joseph Gordon Levitt, Gary Oldman (as always) and Michael Caine (as always). The whole thing was perfect, UNTIL you get to the part where this movie takes your heart out of your chest and stomps on it for few times. And then you think you get to a happier part, the very final minute of the movie, and the movie starts to stomp on your heart again.

14. The Fountain

Oh, another movie that likes to stomp on your heart. I bought this beause of Hugh Jackman, and then I went to see comments about this movie, and they were all like "i cried so much and this was so confusing", and I was like fuck. I forced my parents to see this before I did. Mom didn't like it, it was too confusing for her too. So, I watched this alone, and I cried so fucking much. It was so heartbreaking, I don't even... But I don't see what the fuss is all about, what part of this was confusing?

15. The Hunger Games

I do love this movie, and I love the books, I love everything about this. I mean, let's compare Katniss to one "loved" main character in today's society, Bella Swan. Jesus Christ, Katniss is so much better and actually so much more realistic! And that girl has her priorities set right. Anyway, the story here is brilliant, and this is also very heartbreaking. One word: Rue. And I especially love Haymitch's character, he's so... cool and... I don't know. I just love him.

16. The Prestige

Oh look, Wolverine, Batman, Alfred, Black Widow and David Bowie in the same movie! And directed by Christopher Nolan. I started to watch this simply because of Hugh Jackman, and it was like... the first three minutes, and he was dead. Like oh. Thank you. But then again... What do you know?

17. The Rocky Horror Picture Show

This is kinda my first favourite movie. Because hardly anything I saw before this is still making my favourite movies -list. I haven't seen this ages, but I've seen this once on stage, and it was brilliant. Except that the audience didn't shout like they were suppose to, and my dad made himself look like a fool, IT WAS SO EMBARASSING, YOU HAVE NO IDEA. But Tim Curry is absolutely brilliant, and I still love him. And every time I see Susan Sarandon somewhere I'm like "That's Janet", and I feel like I should sing. Yes.

18. The Series Of Unfortunate events

I loved this movie, and again this is one of the very few that my sister wants to watch with me. She's crazy about this movie, especially Sunny. Well, anyone would be crazy about Sunny, she's so adorable and sassy, even though she can't talk. I've tried to read the books, but I got stuck at the fifth book, because I just got tired of all that, I don't know. My sister has almost read them all, apparently, and she got the game for Christmas. But Baudelaire orphans are all so adorable and sweet and brilliant, and I love them, and I just want to hold them and tell them it's going to be alright, but I guess that then I would get killed by Count Olaf.

19. What's your number?

The name of this movie can get you into weird situations. Ok, maybe not. But I went to see this with Tiina, and even though I was like "OK, it was good, but I don't know if I'm going to watch it for second time", I've seen this three times. It's a romantic comedy, and it's predictable, but it's still hilarious, and Anna Faris is so adorable, why haven't I figured that out before? 

20. X-men: The last stand

Look, I'm at number 20 and I just got to my favourite ones. From the original trilogy, The Last Stand is my favourite, EVEN THOUGH the director ruined Phoenix saga, like some people said, and even though he de-powered Rogue and Magneto and all that shit. I like this movie, even though I have to say good bye to so many characters, like my first favourite character, and Jean, who actually died in the second movie, but you know, she's Phoenix, so she comes back to life. And that's not a spoiler, the whole movie is based on that. That and the cure they make for the mutants.

21. X-men Origins: Wolverine

The whole movie about my favourite mutant, and also my favourite superhero, Logan aka Wolverine. I love this movie, even though there is so much bullshit in this. They ruined Deadpool, and why the fuck is Victor Creed a brother of Logan? But still, I love Jackman in this movie, and OK, it's the movie universe, they can do what they want with this, I can live with that, because I don't have to live in that Universe while reading the comics, do I?



No comments:

Post a Comment