Saturday 2 November 2013

"You know the devil never dies, keeps coming back. But you gotta keep killing him."



Yesterday I went to see Carrie with Tiina. I was somewhat worried, because I don't really like horror films. But Carrie wasn't horror. Like someone said, the real genre is tragedy, and I can totally see that. Tragedy, and a thriller, I guess.

Chloƫ Grace Moretz was perfect for the role. I mean she was absolutely fantastic - like always. She's the only person younger than me who I still admire. And I admire her for a reason. Her acting is incredible. I've seen her play like four different characters, and she does all those very gracefully. Also, Julianne Moore was also really good for her role.

But there's one thing about the movie I really, really want to share with you all. You know the story of Carrie? Her mother is a fundamentalist, and ... um, just really weird and obsessive about her religion. And Carrie gets telekinetic powers, and is bullied at her school and so on. But even when Carrie flips out a bit after the prom thing, the viewer is never scared of her (I know I wasn't). Because you know what has caused all this - all the bullying, and what's worse, her mother. Because the mother's role was really the scariest. Even the most horrible girl in school wasn't as scary as Carrie's mum.

So yeah, the movie wasn't actually scary, only.. distressing and disturbing, probably, but not scary. And there wasn't really that many scenes where you got a mini heart-attack, only one scene. And that was very predictable.

(But what bothers me most was how hard it was to find a proper poster. I mean most of these posters make Carrie look what she really isn't. There's not enough blood, and she looks like... well, not a complete outcast. This was the best one that I found [that was working], and even that isn't so good.)

***

But you know, I also saw The Help at school. I really didn't want to make an own post for that movie, because I didn't really choose to watch it. Also, I didn't like it that much.

First it seemed like an important piece of history of the black people. But in the end it started to focus too much on the white women, even though few of those were actually nice people. And I realise white and non-white people are allowed to have problems at the same time, but the movie really shouldn't be about white people. 

That's all I have to say about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment