Saturday 22 March 2014

"Finally part of the earth. I touched the soil and he loved me back."


Secretary is about Lee Holloway, who gets released from hospital, where she has been since she had an incident due to self-harming. When she gets released, after a while she tries to adjust to normal life, and she gets a job, as a secretary of a lawyer, E. Edward Grey. And I don't know how to explain what happens. Let's just say their relationship starts to be more than employer / employee relationship, because it becomes a relationship between a sexually dominant man and his submissive secretary.

So yeah, first when I started to explain the plot, it seemed to go the way that it would turn out to be some kind of lame romantic comedy, but yeah, not really. And to be honest, I really liked how this movie portrayed BDSM lifestyle. Some people will, of course, always see it as some kind of abuse, if they don't know what BDSM is really about, so watching the movie wouldn't make a difference that way. I don't know. But I liked the movie. Apart from it being sexually frustrating. My god. 

Actually I wanted to see this movie, because I started watching The Blacklist and I really like James Spader. And come on, most of my favourite actors aren't in this kind of a movie. And who wouldn't want to see their favourite actors or actresses in a sexy movie, so yeah. And James Spader was wonderful, he's a really good actor. Just like Maggie Gyllenhaal was extremely good in this. Both of them did excellent job portraying their characters. I kind of wish I could say more about them, but I didn't even think I'd do this review. Not that I'd prefer keeping movies like this a secret, but because I really wasn't sure if I had enough things to say about this. I think I'm doing okay so far.

At first I actually thought that Mr Grey would be the really annoying, typical kind of boss we see a lot in TV and movies. But no, he was really nice, and mostly passive-aggressive, if he needed to. Like, he threw some doughnuts out, but didn't mention that to Lee. He told Lee to go through the trash and when she came back with the file he needed, he said he already found another one. That kind of things. Definitely that would be just as annoying as being annoyed by everything that the secretary would do, but at least he tried not to show it. And it was especially nice, when he found out about Lee's self-harm. He told her to stop, he said "You're over that now, it's in the past". Of course it would never work out like that, but it was still very nicely done if you think about it. I mean if he'd been indifferent towards that even though he knew, that would be very... very unforgivable, and after that the relationship that started between them would've been very close to being abusive, since it would be clear that Mr Grey did not care about Lee one bit.

But the story was well written. I don't know which parts are written by the author of the short story this was based on, and which ones were a bit edited. But still, characters were well created and everything. 

And well, I haven't read Fifty shades of grey, and I don't plan to, but it's pretty clear that the author has seen this movie. I mean both stories have a character named Grey, so. But the problem is that E. L. James hasn't written a BDSM relationship, but that's completely abusive - at least based on what I've heard. I've seen one person going through the book with a red marker and marking the things that are completely alarming and wrong.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
7 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment