Saturday 1 March 2014

"You kill anybody?" "A few cops." "No real people?" "Just cops."


I haven't watched Tarantino's movies for a while. I mean the last time I watched Kill Bill, that's it. I've seen those and Pulp Fiction. So I thought I'd watch Death Proof, or whatever that's called. But instead my dad handed me Reservoir Dogs and I watched it. I mean come on, it's a classic. Or a cult. It's funny how often those two collide when we talk about movies...

Reservoir Dogs is about a plan to steal diamonds, plan which involves six guys. But, you know, it goes wrong. And basically that's how easily the plot is explained.

I love Tarantino's style. I mean especially this movie - it's been a year since I saw any other so I can't be sure anymore - but in Reservoir Dogs there wasn't a lot of action. The movie went forward because of the dialogue. The dialogue was the important part of Reservoir Dogs. Important things happen via dialogue. And Tarantino's dialogue is almost always great. (Almost always because really, I don't know, I've seen four movies, okay?) It isn't always strictly important, but it's easygoing and fun. And dirty, sometimes, but not too much. Because mostly it's easygoing. It's something people could usually be talking about.

And dialogue in this movie is important - because we never see the job they were supposed to be doing. We see them preparing for that. And then we see them leave, Mr Orange bleeding like a motherfucker in the backseat while Mr White is taking him to rendezvous. And the only stuff we know about the job and how it went, is what the men tell about it. But mostly their stories are the same - you know, they talk to each other and not someone else, so I guess that's why - so it's easy to figure out what happened. But Reservoir Dogs proves that we don't need to see everything. The important things happen afterwards and before the actual job.

Also, another thing that's pretty typical for Tarantino's movies (I've seen) is that it doesn't go in chronological order. Lot of flashbacks. But mostly they explain the characters a bit better - at least important characters like Mr White, Mr Blonde and Mr Orange. And Joe and his son Nice Guy Eddie. We don't get to know Mr Brown or Mr Blue almost at all, but you know, not everybody needs to be in an important role. And Mr Brown's theory about Madonna's "Like A Virgin" in the beginning of the movie was really fun. But I'm sort of glad that we didn't see him a lot. I don't like Tarantino acting. He's a director, not an actor. But you know, at least he's not in very big parts so.

But the actors, oh yes. I've seen Harvey Keitel in Red Dragon before. He's okay, I don't really know. Steve Buscemi is okay, and so is most of the cast. But what I really like is Tim Roth. I've liked him since I started watching Lie To Me, and it's very nice to see him in movies. He's very good. And I think he's kinda like Robert Downey Jr, mostly because of the way they look: When they are young they are okay, they are pretty boys. When they get older, they get hotter. Yup.

And I just knew Vic Vega is Vincent Vega's brother. I read it on IMDb just now. Tarantino, you sly little fox, you.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
9 / 10

1 comment:

  1. Good taste. I wasn't a fan of Death Proof- the 'car' scenes were exciting but getting there [for me] was hard work. 'Inglorious Basterds', a Tarantino film, is very good too. I know people who don't like that one but they miss the point of its suspense.

    ReplyDelete