Friday 7 March 2014

"So what is it you do?" "Government overthrows, flashy high-profile assassinations. The usual."


Red Eye takes place during a night flight. Most of the flights have been cancelling and while waiting for a new one, Lisa Reisert gets to know a man called Jackson Rippner. They seem to hit it off, and when it's time to board the plane, they realise their seats are next to each other. But during the flight Lisa realises that it wasn't a coincidence - Rippner is planning to kill a politician, who is staying at the hotel Lisa works in. Rippner gives her two choices: either she calls to the hotel and changes that politician's room, or Rippner will call someone so they kill Lisa's dad.

Red Eye was on TV once, but I didn't have the chance to watch it, since it was on so late and I was so diligent school girl then I couldn't stay up so late on a school night. And now I'm not so diligent and I stayed up late on a school night to watch it. And it was my dad's idea that I should watch it. Is this what growing up feels like? Anyway, I got interested in Red Eye because of Cillian Murphy. He's one of those actors I love very much, but I still never watch their movies unless it's by accident. Anyway, my dad bought it because he also got interested in the movie, and now I've seen it.

First of all, I was very interested in the setting. I mean, basically a kidnapping, but in public. Lisa can't do anything or Rippner will get her dad killed. So Lisa has to "suck it up" and try to act normal, which definitely is extremely difficult when in a situation like hers. I don't know, but somehow that kind of kidnapping is very intriguing. And it works pretty well, I mean it's kinda more agonizing compared to being held captive somewhere no one can hear you. Because on the plane, anyone could hear Lisa. The problem is that she can't do anything.

But it's not like she couldn't try, you know. She writes a message in a book she gave to an elderly lady, she writes a message in the bathroom mirror. She tries everything that's possible. Which is kind of the reason why I liked Lisa's character. She knew what would be the easiest thing to do - call the hotel, but that's against her morals and sense of justice. But she doesn't just sit there, doing what Rippner tells her to do. She tries her best. She's a really great character, I liked her very much. Rachel McAdams did a damn good job. She's quite good actress.

And Cillian Murphy, oh, where do I even begin? If you didn't know the story, you wouldn't think that Rippner is anything else than a normal guy runs into at the airport. Murphy plays that part very well, and he's still convincing when the character's true objectives are revealed. 

Also, I kind of figured out what kind of villains I like. I like villains with extremely blue eyes. I like villains who know a lot about other people.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
9 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment