Friday 14 March 2014

"The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Fight Club."


I've been kind of avoiding the situation where I finally have to watch Fight Club. Of course I had to watch it, I've read the book. That's also the reason why I didn't want to watch it. It doesn't happen often, you know, that I read the book before seeing the movie. It's so much easier to watch a movie, and it may give you the experience book couldn't, and it takes less time. So yeah. But I read Fight Club for our movie / novel club in middle school. I was 15, I felt almost ecstatic. 

I won't even bother explaining the idea of Fight Club. It's easy to explain the story, but it doesn't tell you everything, so I won't even try.

There are reasons why I liked Fight Club as a book. Narrator / main character's name is never revealed, which is very important thing to the plot. I was worried they'd ruin that in the movie - they didn't. Narrator remains nameless. I also loved the sentences that were there, without any meaning. ... Of course they have meaning, but it's not easy to figure out. "I'm Jack's cold sweat." I was kinda afraid how that'd turn out in the movie. They did that just fine. They screwed up something else, though. I could say what it was, but I couldn't explain it without ruining the story, so I will stop here.

Now I get to one of my favourite part of the movie reviews: the cast. Firstly, Brad Pitt was great. But that isn't news, I mean he is a good actor. I don't like him very much, I don't know why. He's great actor, good looking guy - I'm well aware of that but I don't like him. Helena Bonham Carter is probably the only person I can imagine as Marla Singer. I mean sure, there may be actresses out there, who could do the role just as well, but there's no one who could be more like Marla compared to Helena Bonham Carter. She's great in every way. And Edward Norton. I like him, his not my favourite, but I like him very much. And he did marvellous job. And he's very good choice for a narrator - his voice is very pleasant. 

Fight Club is a great book, great movie, but it's not easily digestible. I mean, it's not the kind of movie you can just watch and that's that. There's more philosophical stuff, you really need to ponder different questions while watching or reading. You kind of have to figure out if you agree or not with the stuff that is said. And then you have to figure out why or why not. And at least for me it's not that simple. It's not "agree" or "disagree", its somewhere in the middle. "I'd agree, but!" Like, for example, "I'd agree with that, but is that way too radical way to think?" "I'd agree with that, but was Palahniuk try to make us agree or disagree? Which one does he do?" That kind of stuff. And even if the movie is kind of thrilling and action packed, and when it goes forward, it's get more and more thrilling, action packed, also very disturbing. And then, if you've tried to really think about stuff, you kinda need to think again. "Was that worth it?" "Would that kind of thinking lead to this?" Well, maybe not directly, but...

It's really hard to explain that kind of stuff, when I can't use examples of my own thinking. Because if I do, it might kinda erase the other way of thinking. "This thing made me think that..." etc, and that's that.

You know what's the hardest part of this review? How the fuck am I going to rate this movie? It kinda deserves full 10, it kinda deserves 1. It's completely awful, but it's fantastic. It's nothing, but it's everything. I don't think I've ever had to think this hard how should I rate a movie. Oh well, let's go with the first amount of starts that hit my head halfway through the movie.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
9 / 10

//EDIT:  I actually had to change the score. I realised Fight Club isn't as good as The Hunt, Slipstream and Silence Of The Lambs, which are the only ones to have full ten stars.

(Note: I'm reading this on March 2015 and I'm laughing over the fact that I gave this movie a 10 but then changed it to 9 only to year later give it a 10 again.)

No comments:

Post a Comment