Saturday 31 May 2014

"We want the same thing." "My friend. I'm sorry, but we do not."


In the 1960s mutants are yet to be discovered, however young Charles Xavier and Raven are asked to help CIA, with help of new friend Erik Lensherr and young mutant they try to recruit. But are they enough to try to stop Sebastian Shaw - a man whose plan is to have a nuclear war between the US and Russia, to get rid of humans and strengthen mutants?

X-Men First Class, even though it's the fifth film, was t he first X-Men movie I saw. Little did I know then how much I would love the franchise. And even though I've seen the movie quite many times, I still can watch it without being incredibly bothered by continuity errors - since it feels like this is the real one, and every other movie has the errors. 

I mostly watched this for the first time because I had just seen Jennifer Lawrence in The Hunger Games, and I had seem James McAvoy in Starter for 10. Also, it was directed by Matthew Vaughn, so hell yeah.  But mostly through the movie I was like "what the hell are mutants, who are these people". Obviously the writers didn't feel like explaining everything - but then again they never do - since it was the fifth film, so I had to learn while watching, and it was okay for me. The only character I recognised was Wolverine, who has one line ("Go fuck yourselves"). After recognising I was like "Woah, didn't knew he was in X-Men". After that; "How the fuck did I even recognise him?" Because seriously, I had never seen the movie version, just the comic book. I'm guessing it was the hair and the cigar.

But who was my first favourite character? (Did I give that away when writing a review for Days Of Future Past?) Charles Xavier. I'm pretty sure I fell in love with the character when he saved Erik, and talked to him via telepathy. It was amazing, McAvoy's voice charmed me. And of course there's the brutal ending, which I'm not going to give away. Of course you are able to guess the ending, if you are aware of Xavier's condition later, and you compare it to Xavier in the poster. So yeah, there you have it. 
Obviously I still love Charles with all my heart, even though, well, I have another favourite character. 

Watching it now was a bit weird. I'm used to the calm Xavier, the actual professor, the amazing teacher. And now I just witnessed drunken Xavier trying to hit on people by "We evolved from single-cell organisms via mutation. That's a very groovy mutation" and etc. It's so weird, it's like seeing your actual teacher doing that. Ouch.

But I love First Class! It's exciting and thrilling, full of action and fun. Also, it has what all the X-Men movies have that Avengers etc don't: another meaning than just being superhero movies. X-Men is about minorities. It's... amazing. I do love this movie with all my heart, I will love this movie and franchise so, so long. 

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
7 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment