Wednesday 3 June 2015

"You can't keep putting aside what you want for some imaginary future. You've gotta suck it up and go with you gut."


Year: 2014
Director: Lynn Shelton
Writers: Andrea Seigel

In the throes of a quarter-life crisis, Megan panics when her boyfriend proposes, then, taking an opportunity to escape for a week, hides out in the home of her new friend, 16-year-old Annika, who lives with her world-weary single dad.
- Written by Anonymous

I found this movie because iMDB recommended it for me. I don't remember why, but I got interesting because of the cast: Keira Knightley, Chloƫ Grace Moretz and Sam Rockwell... I really like all of them, so why wouldn't I watch this?

I actually thought this movie would turn out to be much more hilarious, but it ended up being much deeper. It reminded me of Liberal Arts by Josh Radnor. Both movies dealt a lot with age and growing up and all that, even though the main characters were grown up in both movies. 

Megan is easy to relate to as character. Maybe your situation in life isn't exactly as hers, but the feeling she has is very familiar to most of us. Everyone feels at least once in their life out of place, not knowing what to do with your life, all that. That feeling is there most of the time, if you are Megan's age more or less. But dealing with this feeling is not too rare in movies about young adults (and others). But Megan had other traits too, she didn't felt like just a symbol for this one feeling, which was really good. I liked her character much more than I first thought I would. She could've been better though.

Even though this movie dealt with kind of deep stuff, searching your own place etcetera, it was light in a lovely way. Also it didn't give really an answer to how to find your place, the message was more like, in the quote, "go with your gut". Someone else maybe would prefer that the movie gave some reassurance rather than really simple message, but I really like this way too. The movie tells you to take it easy, it's okay if you don't have it all figured out, life changes and you change. ... There's a chance I'm looking too much into it, mostly because I'm afraid this review will turn out too short.

But Laggies was a fun, light but still deep movie with great characters. This wasn't at all what I was expecting (which is something I've been saying a lot I think?), This movie is entertainment you don't have to start analysing, but you still can, because it really does have a purpose. I warmly recommend it to anyone who every now on then or more often feels unsure about their life.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
7 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment