Thursday 11 June 2015

"They're here..."


Year: 2015
Director: Gil Kenan
Writer: David Lindsay-Abaire, Steven Spielberg (story)

A family moves to a new house only to discover it's haunted by poltergeists.

Please note that I haven't seen the original one. This is why I can't review this movie based on the original. My opinion on this film could change after seeing the 1982 movie. 

I mostly wanted to watch this because of the lovely Sam Rockwell, but I wasn't quite sure if I wanted to see a horror movie, I mean I've never enjoyed them too much and I'm scared easily. Or at least I was, I don't know for sure. But the day before yesterday I was looking through movies currently in cinemas, and then I asked my friends if they'd come see this with me.

The story isn't too original, though I don't know if it was original in the 80's. The idea of family going into a haunted house is used so often and so much. But like I said when I wrote about Coraline, they added some interesting details that made the typical idea more interesting. One example of this is when they flew the camera through the portal into the plane where the spirits were, that was interesting. Also the ending was good. I might have expected it going to different direction, but I'm pretty glad with how things ended.

Was this movie scary? Well, a little. Mostly it was the typical kind of scary, when everything is slow and quiet and you just know something is going to jump out or something like that. Those are easy to predict, but the waiting part is the worst. I have to admit there were several scenes I had to keep my eyes closed because I knew we were going to be given some horrible image which would've haunted me during the night. But I don't think this movie was too scary - if that's good or bad it's up to you.

One thing I've noticed from some horror movies is how real the dialogue is - considering when they are not discussing some supernatural phenomenon. It's almost playful.  I love it. 

Poltergeist was an alright movie. It's worth a watch, but it loses its charm after the first time. At least I don't think I'm going to see it again any time soon.

☆☆☆☆☆☆
6 / 10

There's one bad thing about going to the cinema: I can't take notes. It's harder to write about the movie when I have nothing to rely on but my memory.  

No comments:

Post a Comment