Tuesday 23 June 2015

"The world's a playground. You know that when you are a kid, but somewhere along the way everyone forgets it."


Year: 2008
Director: Peyton Reed
Writers: Nicholas Stoller, Jarrad Paul and Andrew Mogel, Danny Wallace (book)

After his divorce, Carl has been neglecting his friends and life itself, until his friend makes him go to a seminar, after which he starts saying "yes" to every possibility he faces: and this is how he meets Allison.

I've watched Yes Man many times before. I actually grew sick of it, because I know almost every line and all that. But few days ago I learnt that Danny Masterson was in this movie, which is why I decided to watch it again. (This might make me watch Smiley Face again, because Masterson was in it (I don't remember that at all)). So my main question during this time was can I still like a movie I've grown tired of?

Weird thing is that this is based on Danny Wallace's book, which apparently is autobiography, because Wallace himself had a challenge to say yes to everything for an entire year. That's quite interesting, but since I haven't read the original book, I can't say how well the movie is adapted, but I have my doubts. I mean autobiography on such precise subject can be hard to adapt into a movie.

Well, the idea of this story is quite simple. It's not that good, but it isn't the worst. It's an average idea, that could turn out both good and horribly bad. In this movie, that idea turned out just decent.

But that's just the idea. Even though the idea is simple and just decent, other things work very well. The music in this movie is excellent, There are a lot of songs performed by Eels. The cinematography is good, but not excellent or brilliant. It's what you see in a lot in average movies.

This movie is really funny. Mostly the humour is what you'd expect from a movie starring Jim Carrey. There's a lot of fiddling, being clumsy. It's funny, but it's also pretty cheap, and gets old really quick. But I laughed out loud several times, so did everyone I watched this movie with. It's hilarious, but of course it won't be as funny if you watch it every day. Once or twice a year seems good, or even more rarely. 

I was kind of annoyed by the typical Manic Pixie Dream Girl trope again, but I can't be sure if Allison truly is a MPDG. Someone else might have a better answer to this, I'm waiting for your comments.

So shortly, Yes Man is funny, but the humour gets old. Mostly this movie is average. But I could still laugh and enjoy this movie, even though two or more years ago I was totally bored with this. So the answer to the question I presented myself was ironically: yes. 

☆☆☆☆☆
5 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment