Saturday 13 June 2015

"'Manners maketh man.' Do you know what that means? Then let me teach you a lesson."


Year: 2014
Director: Matthew Vaughn 
Writers: Jane Goldman, Matthew Vaughn, Mark Millar & Dave Gibbons (Comic book)

"Based upon the acclaimed comic book and directed by Matthew Vaughn, Kingsman: The Secret Service tells the story of a super-secret spy organization that recruits an unrefined but promising street kid into the agency's ultra-competitive training program just as a global threat emerges from a twisted tech genius."
- Summary by 20th Century Fox

I've heard a lot about this movie on Tumblr mostly. First I didn't pay much attention, but then I started to get interested. I mean the people talking about it didn't stop, all the hype wasn't just for a while, people actually liked it and started to make their own headcanons and alternative universes. As I witnessed all this I realised I definitely want to see this movie.

The action scenes in this movie were amazing. They were kind of messy, but very detailed. The cool or funny - or however you'd like to describe them - details actually made up for the messiness. Even though it's hard to follow the whole thing, you get these little things and they make it easier to get the whole picture of the fight. I love that. Little details are definitely better than showing everything in explicit detail.

There were many interesting characters. Especially the villains. First of all, Gazelle, whose fighting style made her interesting. Also, she was kind of like the typical female villain, who is not the real big bad, you know. Still, Gazelle was way more dangerous than the main villain, who barely could shoot someone. Come on, the villain is magnificent! A villain played by Samuel L Jackson, a villain who can't even stand to see blood because he feels ill. Also he's the kind of extreme misanthropist, who things man kind should die because then the earth would be saved. That was just simply amazing. 

The story was fun. It just was great, it was typical yet original. It's amazing parody; it's a parody, but you can (almost) take it completely seriously. 

Music was amazing. It was modern day electronic action soundtrack meets traditional spy movies meets Kick-Ass. And no wonder, the soundtrack was made (partly?) by Henry Jackman, whose music is really amazing. 

I didn't figure out this movie was directed by Matthew Vaughn until the end credits. But I shouldn't be surprised. During the whole movie I kept thinking wow, this reminds me a lot of Kick-Ass. Something about the action scenes and, well, the atmosphere was just like in Kick-Ass and X-Men First Class. Also the humour is very close to Kick-Ass, but I don't know if that comes from Vaughn or Mark Millar So if you like those movies, be sure to watch Kingsman: The Secret Service.

There were many other movies this reminded me of. Of course it has elements from classic James Bond movies, but that you can expect. The action scenes sometimes were alike to those in Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes -movies, you know, when Holmes first calculated what he'd do and then he'd do it but so quickly we'd only see certain details. And when Eggsy was recruited, the tests started to kind of remind me of Men In Black, when J was recruited. 

This movie is fun and thrilling. But wow, I just... I guess I want more movies like this, and right now, please. If any of you can recommend a movie quite like this, please tell me.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
9 / 10

2 comments:

  1. Yes, yes and yes. Started like an family friendly action movie but the end was crazy with "ass" and all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete