Saturday 14 December 2013

"I know of no fine words to do with love. They wither like flowers when I try to pick them."

[Deleted the photo because it stopped working. And since, again, I didn't mention the name (What the hell 2012 me?) the movie is called I Am Dina.]

I borrowed this movie from the library same time I borrowed After The Wedding. I also borrowed it from the same reason - Mads Mikkelsen. Okay, Christopher Eccleston, too. 

The story was interesting, at first, but then it started to... just go on and on, and I had no idea where it tried to go. It just went on with no destination. At first I expected it to do a full circle or something, but it didn't do that either.

Filming techniques were nice again. Actually, if I wanted to talk more about the filming techniques of this movie, I'd had to repeat what I said about After the Wedding, the technique was pretty similar. Cutting and all that. I don't know.

Let's just say that if I'm watching Norwegian movie, I also expect hearing Norwegian, not English with an weird accent. I thought Europe didn't have the problem to do everything in English, Norwegian would've been enough.

Dina's mother died when boiling hot lye fell on her. They didn't try to make the death look easier than it was, it looked painful and gruesome, and I thank the makers for that. Also, I thank them for showing nudity, like it's not a big deal, but still not showing penises of not so attractive men. Also, they made that one rape scene uncomfortable, but not too much. It's agonising scene, like it should be, but not too much, if you get my meaning.

Music of this movie made everything weirdly scary. Well yes, there probably were moments where the music wasn't so haunting, but they didn't really stood out. It was mostly the creepy music. 

I don't know how I felt about this movie. It was... alright. I liked it, sometimes, but it was also really slow. Slowness is okay, if you do it right, but I didn't like it here. But partly, the movie was good. Sometimes it reminded me a bit of The Fountain, except that movie is way better, way more beautiful. I may want to see this movie again, but I don't want to buy it for myself. I guess that says a lot, because all the really, really good movies I've watched this year, I wanted to own. But not this one, even though I liked it... a bit at least. 

One thing ruining my experience was that DVD almost didn't work. That's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment