Friday 13 December 2013

"You're an angry man. That's good. It gives you lots of drive."



As you know, I watched Liberal Arts a while ago, and I talked and talked about it. So, basically, I wanted to try more drama, the genre I've despised for so long. And there isn't a better start than to start with an actor I'm familiar with, even if it mean watching a Danish movie. 

The filming technique was nice. It looked like it had been cut a lot, which gave it a certain ambiance. I really like different filming techniques, and it was actually the first thing that caught my eye. It reminded me a lot of other Nordic movies, you know, Swedish and Finnish movies - a lot of focusing on little things like eyes, a mouth, and all that. It's really nice. Another technique thing I loved was how they showed - only few times but still - small flashbacks. Really small, just for few seconds, and without an explanation. I love that kind of flashbacks, if of course the watcher gets to know what they were about. 

I have a lot of complicated feelings about Jacob's character. At first he seems like a really, really easy to love. Then it starts to change, as we learn more of him. That was good, but it kind of didn't change my opinion in him. He seemed somewhat adorable, at least his way with kids. But he also had a lot of negative traits, but he still was sort of... nice. Yeah.

I also loved how they used the music - Indian music partly, but other music too. And most of that music was something a Hollywood movie makers probably wouldn't have used, since it sometimes was a bit misleading. It's hard to explain. You know how you can almost foretell what's going to happen in a movie, just based on the music? Well, here you think you can do the same, but you can't. But it's really artful. I don't know.  

Emotions looked so much more real than in American movies. It seemed that way. Also the feelings I get while watching this are more real, I'm more able to identify with them. I don't know. Or maybe it's just that the movie is Danish, and displaying emotions and culture is so much closer to Finnish? Or is there a big difference between American and Nordic cultures? Or is that only what I want to believe? Do I want to feel congeniality to Danish people? 

Also, in the movie, they didn't have to tell anything straight. We just realise everything we need to while watching. In Hollywood movies everything is said before we get it - usually. Of course it's not all movies, but unfortunately many of them. Also, in After the wedding, they let us know new things suddenly, like to back the story, back the past of the characters. We don't know everything about the characters in the start, we gain more knowledge during the film. I mentioned this while talking about Jacob's character.

Another, maybe culture related thing, was swearing. There wasn't much of it, but when it was used, it was really needed, it was skilfully used. Now here's a tip: if you want to use swearing in a movie, you have two ways of doing it. You can make the characters swear, like, all the time, make it part of their regular speech pattern, like it's how they talk everyday. Or, you can use it just for few times - but make it really count. Choose the timing and character - and the phrase - perfectly, so it really, really counts. After the wedding used the last one, and it worked. But maybe it would've been more effective, you know, if I'd realised it while listening, not just read it in the subtitles.

Anyway, After the Wedding was really nice. I'm not sure what I expected, I just watched it. But it's a movie I really want to own. So yeah, have to find it somewhere, since I borrowed this one from the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment