Saturday 7 December 2013

"Grace, I realized, is neither time nor place dependent. All we need is the right soundtrack."

[The poster of Liberal Arts also stopped working]

I don't like drama films. I only wanted to watch this movie because it was written and directed by Josh Radnor, who I've loved since I started following him on Twitter. But still, I have a lot to say about this movie. Or at least I think I have.

I love the way this movie represented classical movies and books. They were an important part of the characters' lives, and everything that was said  just made me more aware of the beauty of those things. I love classical movies, and I love books - more or less. But this movie made me realise how amazing books are. They didn't even have to say that out loud, but it was still there, the small thing that made me so aware. And that was... really cool. Especially this book, that was never mentioned by name, but was one of Jesse's and Dean's favourites, Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace... I need to read it now, after this film. Unfortunately... can't be found in the local library. That really sucks.

And then the main charater, Jesse, played by Josh Radnor. He was very sympathetic character, really nice, and everything. What's not to love? I especially loved how sweet he was to this kid, Dean, who was lonely, and I think Jesse saw a lot of himself in the kid, even though there were giant differences between them.

One of my favourite scenes was, when Zibby wrote in a letter that "she'd like a gentleman caller, and she'd like it to be [Jesse]". Then Jesse got really nervous, and started to count the age difference. When realising that was 16 year, he started to count "When I was -- , she was --", and "When I am --, she is --." And first he was really distraught, but when he wrote "When I am 87, she is 71", and then he was like woah, it's not that much. That was pretty funny scene, and something most people would do at that part.

Another nice thing about it was when Zibby was reading a vampire book, and Jesse was dissing it, and then he said he'd read it, just for her, and tell her what he thinks. Book was called "Lunar Moon", but everything points at Twilight. And even if people love with when people say how much Twilight sucks ass, Zibby had a good point. She said it's not good, but she likes it and it makes her happy, so she reads it. And by being good, she means it's not a classic piece of literature, it's a crappy book, but she likes it. And geez, I can't remember what else they talked about the movie, but that scene made me realise, what's the point of pestering people about what the like, even thought it's something you can't understand why people like it. I don't know. That scene just did things for me.

Also, Jesse's former teacher made a good point - "Nobody feels like an adult", he said, "that's the world's dirty secret." That's what growing up is - you realise you don't know adult stuff, but neither does anyone else. I loved how they said that.

One other character I liked was this hat guy, Nat, played by Zac Efron. He maybe wasn't a realistic character, but he was really funny character, and someone I'd really like to run into. Hell, anyone should run into a guy or a gal like him, that would be good to everyone. 

Like I said, I don't like drama. I like action, thrillers, that sort of stuff. But I can't say that I wouldn't feel anything for this movie. It was so good, so different from other drama I've seen. And I blame Radnor, he's a terribly good writer. Liberal Arts was ... it was life. The whole movie mirrors life, raw life, so well, it made me feel weird. It was like, this is what it is, this is what it is for everyone. I had so many feelings, thoughts, when the movie ended. I just sat there for a moment, and then walked around the house like woah. Woah, that was really good.

I don't understand how this isn't more popular - I hardly see anything about this movie online or anywhere. It should be an instant classic with amazing writing and dialogue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment