Monday 6 January 2014

"Good evening, Herr Kolnas. You drink better wine that you serve."



Again, just like with Hannibal, I only heard bad things about Hannibal Rising. One person said, that it's like Harris tried to make it too much of a sob story. Again, I have to disagree with this person. I think Hannibal Rising was just fine. It could've been much worse.

Also there's the fact that the screenplay was made by Harris. I don't think he made he other screenplays, at least I didn't notice that. So that makes the movie at least mostly what Thomas Harris wanted it to be, I guess. Also, there's the fact that Harris created the character, so I guess he knows how the story of him truly goes - from the beginning to the end. Of course we can always criticise him, but he creates a character the way he wants to. So there's that.

I really enjoyed Gaspard Ulliel's  acting. He was brilliant, even when Hannibal was partly mute, and when he first opened his mouth - more than just screaming Mischa's name in his sleep - I knew he was perfect for the role. And he truly was. He had something that Hopkins' Hannibal had, but still something less and something more, and just in the right way. But some facial expressions truly reminded me of Anthony Hopkins, and that's always nice. And also, Ulliel's appearance somehow reminds me of Mads Mikkelsen, especially their lips are very much alike.

I don't know how to comment on the story. I knew most of the stuff already, thanks to the Internet. But ... Well, I like the story. And the character development was nice. And I got more proof that Hannibal isn't a psychopath / sociopath. Well, there was one moment where he kind of flipped out, went completely bonkers (really nice way to say it), but it still didn't seem like he went totally insane. It's like it was that one moment, one painful truth that he couldn't bear. But then again - who could bear that? 

No comments:

Post a Comment