Sunday 26 January 2014

"Thought you didn't smoke." "I took it up recently, for my health."


Secret Window is based on a short story "Secret window, secret garden" by none other than Stephen King. I've read the short story - since the only things I can read from King are short stories. I'm not fond of his novels.

Author Mort Rainey is visited by a guy named John Shooter, who claims that Rainey has stolen his story. First Rainey doesn't believe him and claims he's a nutter, but after reading his manuscript he sees that the stories are almost indentical - apart from the ending. And that's what John Shooter is asking - Rainey needs to fix the ending he ruined, since Shooter's ending was perfect.

I've watched this movie when I was about 12, and it was almost as good as I remembered. Maybe watching it many times has ruined it from me. It seemed a lot more boring than I remembered. The only thing I really enjoy, funnily enough, is the ending. And I remember watching this for the first time, realising everything and it really fucked me up. But I think the movie was better than the short story. I think I don't like Stephen King as much as everyone else. I enjoy the movies, not his writing. I don't know why that is.

Usually I think that Johnny Depp is terribly overrated, but I like him in this movie. I can't imagine anyone else playing Mort Rainey - even if there probably is many people who would do that part just fine. It's just that that part is Depp's, and that's that.

And as a writer I enjoy every thriller and good drama where the main character is a write / an author, or whatever. That is something I can identify with much easier than simply characters from the same age group, same sex, or stuff like that. And even though I don't like King, he creates excellent writer characters. Maybe a bit unstable characters, sometimes, but of course that is what he aims for, I think.

But the movie is definitely worth watching.

☆☆☆☆☆☆


No comments:

Post a Comment