Saturday 25 January 2014

"I once read an interesting bit. Most people who die in the woods die of shame."


I saw commercial for The Edge when it was a movie of the week on Fox Finland. It was one of those annoying commercials that I saw ten times a week when watching How I Met Your Mother.

In the movie, three people are stranded on the forest, and they have to survive. Yeah, I said three people, and you can see that there's only two in the cover. Well, let's just say that the third man is black, and it's not very surprising that he dies first. Well anyway, the men must survive the nature, to find their way back to the cottage where they left. And the diabolic bear following and tormenting them doesn't help.

There's one thing that bothered me though - they were on a (very small) plane, and they crashed into a lake, and swam ashore then. But, this one man has matches in their pocket, and they are completely usable. And so are some kind of flares, or whatever they were (they were lost so soon I can't remember right now), and everything was completely useful even if they were all in water. I don't know how that is possible - I mean yeah, the matches were in the pocket, but I don't think Bob's jacket was extremely waterproof.

I really liked the actors. I mean well, it was mostly watching Baldwin and Hopkins, but both of them were very good. I haven't really seen Baldwin anywhere, apart from Beetlejuice, but I don't remember much of that. But he was okay here. And Hopkins was just as marvellous as always - I read on IMDb that he suffered from slipped disk throughout filming, but went with it. I think that's incredible. And he somehow looked extremely gorgeous in this movie. I think I'm praising him too much.

The nature looked very amazing here. And it looked like the kind of forest we have here in Finland. It almost made me want to go camping in the forest or something. Maybe I should do that when we get rid of the snow - and the people who ski. 

The music in this movie reminded me of the music in Silence Of The Lambs. But the composer isn't the same. Maybe it was the eerie atmosphere in the music.. Maybe.

I saw a person on the message boards in IMDb claiming that this was "the stupidest survival movie ever", and I have to disagree with them, as do so many others. The person claimed that it wasn't realistic like "how did they do this and that", while in the very beginning of the film it was made clear that Hopkins' character knew quite a lot about  many things. I think that was a good thing - character reading a lot, knowing a lot, and when it's time when you need that knowledge, someone has it. I'm not saying everything in this movie is very realistic, I mean very few movies are completely realistic, but then what would be the point of making fiction if everything had to be realistic? But I think The Edge was somewhat realistic - apart from the match thing that  bothered me. But the movie gave me an itch to watch more survival movies. Maybe I should finish that one survival game I still haven't finished... 

Also, I never knew I'd hear Anthony Hopkins say "motherfucker."

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆½



No comments:

Post a Comment