Tuesday 7 January 2014

"We tried sodium amatol on him three years ago to find where he buried a Princeton student; he gave 'em a recipe for potato chip dip."


I wouldn't say that Manhunter is the worst movie I've seen. But it most certainly is the most disappointing one.

Manhunter's story is the same as in Red Dragon. It's based on the same book, same characters, everything. And you know how much I liked Red Dragon, and how much I liked the book. Well, Manhunter is so bad compared to both of those. I mean yeah, movie doesn't need to strictly follow the book, but I would prefer if they'd keep the right ending in the movie. And well, yeah, basically the ending was the same, but they... made it too quick. Everything was solved too quickly - in Red Dragon you think it is over, but then it continues. But Manhunter just quits the movie when it seems right. And that was a complete and utter mistake. Also, they didn't introduce us properly to Francis Dolarhyde. And his relationship with Reba - everything happened in one day. What the fuck?

I was looking forward to seeing yet another actor portraying Dr. Lecter. But no, Brian Cox was there only for three different scenes. That might be more than in the book, but it still was very little. So I didn't get much out of him. But for what I saw he seemed... just wrong. Not even so much different compared to Hopkins, Ulliel or Mikkelsen, he just seemed... weird and wrong. Of course Hopkins had much more screen time in Red Dragon, since he is a superstar and all, but I don't know. Maybe Dr. Lecter wasn't that big of a deal then, before Silence of the Lambs.

Also the music was so annoying, it was straight from the eighties - well, the movie was made in the eighties - but it was like they didn't even try at all. 

Manhunter seems like a total B-movie, and if you consider watching it, I recommend that you shouldn't. Just stick to Red Dragon, book and the movie. 


No comments:

Post a Comment