Sunday 12 January 2014

"Stop the Postman!" "How? How? With what?" "Me! Me! Me! Me! Meeee!"


I watched magic because my dad mentioned it to me after I watched everything from Silence of the lambs to Hannibal Rising. Of course he recommended it - it had Anthony Hopkins in it, and it is a thriller, so what could be more suitable? The movie is from 1978, and when I watched the trailer it seemed so fucking lame, and something... well, a B-movie. But... it was surprisingly good.

And by surprisingly good I mean surprisingly fucking terrifying. Especially the music - they could be playing any kind of melody, but it was easily turned creepy when they played that certain thing they played in harmonica, to somehow emphasize Fats, the ventriloquist dummy the main character Corky had. Like - there's a sex scene. And the music on that scene is really beautiful music played with violins. But, then, the camera goes to the dummy few times, when it is sitting in the next room, and that harmonica music strikes again, and it's really creepy - and effective!

Corky was supposed to get examined so he could work on TV, but he didn't want to. And the way he claims there is nothing wrong with him - in quite beginning of the movie - really suggests the opposite. And I think even before that, there was a moment when Corky was completely alone in the room, and he still talked to Fats and the other way around. So... it was pretty clear that Corky wasn't as completely fine as he claimed he was. Also, closer to the end, the way Fats got Corky to do almost everything he wanted to - it was pretty creepy also. "Smile, frown, do a spin, touch the ceiling, grab the knife in my suitcase." 

It was amazing. And let's just praise Hopkins' acting skills on that one! And let's just praise his skills on the whole movie, because he made it pretty awesome. I need to watch more movies with him. 
(Now I have a mental image of me sitting on the sofa with Anthony Hopkins, watching movies and eating popcorn, discussing about it sophistically afterwards.)

I may not have explained everything here as well as I should've. I mean the plot is hard to explain just like - even the trailer doesn't give you the full idea. Basically - Corky doesn't want to get examined, he flees to a place where he thinks he could find the woman he has loved all his life, and he finds her, and at the same time he is going crazy. So, if that doesn't make you interested, just... you should still watch it. It's very suspenseful, ending was perfect, all that. So if you don't mind watching an "old" movie, then go ahead. It's really nice... and creepy.

No comments:

Post a Comment