Tuesday 28 January 2014

"Okay who didn't arm their spaceship?" [Finland's representative slowly raises his hand]


I wanted to see Iron Sky as soon as I heard about it. Of course by now I've seen it like three times, but I never wrote anything about it. I guess it's never too late.

Iron Sky is about ... Nazis. Nazis who went to the moon in 1945 and now, well in 2018, they are coming back. Everything starts when President of United States has an election campaign to send two men to the moon - a proper astronaut who gets killed, and a male model who is then caught by Nazis, who get a bit shocked to find out that the man is... well, black. And then, after finding out how powerful "telephone computers" are, they decide to go to earth before they'll tear it apart. The idea is stupid, of course, but that's why it's so brilliant. It's so bizarre that you can't make a bad movie out of it. ...Well, you can, but you can't make a movie that is worse than the idea itself out of it.

I love Vivian Wagner very much - she's the character who seems to be in charge of the president's campaigns. At least she is designing stuff and she introduces president to the people who she thinks will help the president to get re-elected. I'd love to be specific why I love her, but I think telling that would be spoiling the movie. And I'm not taking any risks here.

And of course one thing why I have a special relationship with Iron Sky is that it's a Finnish movie. Well yeah, maybe with little help from Germany and Australia, but it's still... Finnish idea, Finnish movie and everything. And do you have any idea how cool it is to see a start of the movie, where they are landing on moon and effects are really nice and we just think "This... this is Finnish." It makes me feel very patriotic, I guess. 

But I really love the special effects and the scenery. I love how colours are used - or how they are not used, since most of the scenery is very grey, especially on the streets and on the base of the Nazis and all that. Effects are nice, but they aren't overused, I guess. They have some sort of unreal effect, but also they don't look too fake like they could in some B-movie. Not that I'd be judging B-movies, sometimes they do something right, so.

But still, the plot and the characters aren't worth watching the movie the second - or the third - time. It's worth the first time, then it seems very awesome, but after few times it's like... It doesn't give you anything new anymore. Very few movies do, but if they are good movies, you never get sick of them, no matter how often you watch them. But Iron Sky... If you're going to watch it, watch it once, and then not again until, like, when ten years has passed. Then it might be nice again.

☆☆☆☆☆
5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment