Saturday 15 February 2014

"Now you have no continuity. Nothing makes sense anymore."


Well, I guess I don't have to explain why I wanted to see this. Written and directed by the same guy who stars in it and has composed music. Sometimes I feel like I want to punch this man, he's too brilliant.

First of all - I really liked the special effects. They could probably give someone a headache, and maybe the movie should even have epilepsy warning on it. But, I didn't have problem with either headache or epilepsy, so I did just fine. The special effects were great and just strengthens the dream-like effect the movie itself had. And that was there even at the beginning - just quick shots. And it left the question, what are these? Flashbacks? Flashforwards? What? 

And well, of course I have to say something about the music. The music, the score, was very... subtle. I mean it didn't stand out very much. I don't know if that's a bad thing - actually it's kind of better than music that makes you pay as much attention to the music as to what's actually happening in the movie. It was nice, but then again I would've hoped more. I've been listening to And The Waltz Goes On, also composed by Hopkins, and it's brilliant, but of course the music in this movie is completely different compared to that.

 They were filming a movie within the movie, which was weird since somebody also mentioned "Dream within a dream" by Poe, and a scene they were shooting reminded me a bit of Pulp Fiction. But yeah, during that scene I didn't even know they were shooting a scene of a movie. But whenever they were shooting the movie, it was completely chaotic. Somehow I started to wonder if that's how it goes, but I guess not, since it was later told how impossible the situation was, how it was completely out of control. 

Also, I completely lost my track of time, even though I have a clock, but I still had no idea how long had passed. Like tat one scene that reminded me of Pulp Fiction, I was like "But what is  this, the movie is ending soon, isn't it?" And then I check and I had watched the movie for half an hour. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Because basically I enjoy long movies, but I hate how... long they take. I mean like, it's great to watch three hour film, but it takes so long. Slipstream was only 97 minutes, if I remember correctly, but it felt longer. I don't know. What if I was a little bored during the movie? I don't think so. I was eagerly waiting for it to end, though, but I that's mostly because I wanted some kind of explanation to the horrifying flashbacks / flashforwards, I wanted to know what happened. So that's kind of why I wanted it to end, I wanted an explanation.

But I truly loved the writing. The whole story was basically written well, and the dialogue! The dialogue affected me really weirdly. I mean At parts the dialogue was repeated, like one word, and so on. After I had a pause, I'm pretty sure my family was talking like that. Huh. But I have to appreciate Hopkins' self-irony. Some producer guy was talking on phone (BUT the cord was broken, I don't know how he was talking to anyone) and he said: "You're filming Hannibal 4: The Blue Dragon, with Hopkins? He asks for more money? Fuck him." At that point I had to pause the movie just so I could enjoy that line a bit more. Also, same character was mocking Hopkins' character's Welsh accent. You know, Hopkins is Welsh. 

But uh, I wish I could explain what the movie was about. I didn't get it at first. It was like different layers, different stories layered towards. Sometimes it felt like different realities colliding. It was nice, but also confusing. I don't mind confusion, some other might. And that kind of weird building made me feel very surreal. My parents were ordering a pizza, and a minute after that I had to think - did that really happen? Was that some other layer thingy in the movie? Of course then I had to realise how it wasn't happening in the movie, so yeah, it was real. I don't mind having to really think what happened really in the movie and what was just something inside someone's head.  But the plot was really, really complicated, and in the end you really realise what is real. Well, not really what is real, more like "Oh", and then you can judge easier what could be real, what is probably not real.

Also, I loved the part where  they talked about the main character - I guess he is the main character, it's hard to tell - how he's dangerous, and kills off characters especially when he's tired. You see, the character is a writer. As someone who writes, I can really relate to that part. 

I tried  to look at IMDb at something, but most comments I saw on message boards were very negative. I really liked the movie, but I can see why something as experimental as Slipstream can be too annoying to some. But luckily I don't rate movies by how most people would like the movie. I have my taste, and I like experimental stuff. So hell yeah. Anthony Hopkins can act, write, direct and compose. Fuck this guy.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
10 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment