Saturday 1 February 2014

"Do you know how to use that thing?" "Yes. The pointy end goes into the other man." "This is going to take a lot of work."


First of all I must confess - I missed like 5 minutes of this movie, due to DVD not working properly. So I missed the duel between Alejandro and Elena. 

I feel kinda bad, since - at least in Finland - people know Zorro, but I don't think many people really know Zorro. I mean, how many people of my age have watched any movies? I don't know. I watched the TV show when I was about 10, because it was on TV when I came home from school, so I watched. I was kind of hooked and then I just stopped watching it. But it was incredible sexy show, and I don't know if that was sometimes too sexy for a 10-year-old, but I really liked it, and I think Diego De La Vega was one of my first crushes on TV.

But in The Mask Of Zorro, Don Diego De La Vega, the man who is mostly known as Zorro, is in prison, but he escapes. He wants to revenge Don Rafal Montero, who killed his wife and took his daughter. Diego De La Vega starts to train Alejandro Murrieta, to took his place as Zorro, and stuff like that. I mean the plot is kind of excessive, so it's hard to explain every important bit without it taking most of this review.

Well, if I have something bad to say, it's that I kinda wanted this movie to be more violent. What can I say, I love violence and blood in movies. And also, there's the thing that when people fight with the swords, and they stop for a moment - using cheesy / funny one-liners, and you just see, that the other one could finish the other one, since he just stopped to mock or something. During one or two scene I wanted to yell at the characters, "You could've killed them right there, but no." And sometimes, one-liners during fight are just annoying. Sometimes they make the fight easier to follow - I mostly remember dialogue from the movies, not the action scenes, because they don't install to my brain the same way. But mostly, this movie didn't have stupid one-liners in the wrong place. The one-liners were very nicely put there.

One other thing - I love how most of the characters were ... racially (?) correct. Not too many white boys. Okay, well, a few, but usually white actors were in the roles that could've easily been white people. Well, the exception of Diego De La Vega, I thought he'd be a Latino.

Unfortunately for you, I could go on and on about how extremely sexy I found Diego De La Vega's character - especially the parts when he used the whip to blow out the candles and then blew the smoke of the cigar and all that. But, I think I won't talk about that too much. But the crush I had on him when I was 10 still exists - maybe it's just stronger now that one of my current celebrity crushes plays him.

☆☆☆☆☆☆
6 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment