Saturday 1 February 2014

"She has no more place here than a goat does at a banquet!"



Thor: The Dark World was mostly really boring. I mean people said it was good, or at least that's what I figured from the stuff they said, so maybe I expected more. But seriously, even though lots of stuff was happening, it felt like absolutely nothing.

I mostly watched this movie for Sif and Odin, the only two characters that are... well, not as annoying. Well my love for Odin might also be mostly defensive, since most of those people who think everything that comes out of Loki's ass is pure gold is being really unfair to Odin. I mean mostly that's claiming he's a bad father to Loki,  but then again, what would they do in his place. People can think what they want about Odin, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't defend him. He's not perfect, in this movie he was pretty reckless, but still. And Sif wasn't in the movie as much as I wished she was.

The plot was, that Jane Foster, you know, Thor's love interest, accidentally consumes Aether, a weapon of the Dark Elves. The Dark elves were the villains in this movie, and I was excited to see Christopher Eccleston, but his role was so tiny, and we couldn't even see his face properly, which is a shame. He's a fantastic actor, and most of his acting can be seen in his face, but now that's ruined. Also, his voice was almost impossible to catch under all those sound effects. Furthermore, the Dark Elves seemed quite... well, I guess useless is the right word. I was expecting so much more of them, but their plans to "destroy the world" or whatever seemed really juvenile intention. Even though Odin told us a tale about Dark Elves they seemed like... we didn't know enough about them at any part of the movie. And the movie was like The Dark Elves weren't the main thing, like the plot wasn't the plot.

First I was interested in Jane Foster consuming the Aether. When anybody touched her when she didn't want them to, Ather created some sort of small explosion. So, I was excited, maybe Foster would play a crucial role - maybe she'd learn how to use that power. I love female character with enormous powers that they can control, but then again can't - like Jean Grey. But Foster didn't do much with Aether, and that was a shame. But what she did was she used science against Dark Elves and stuff. That's great too. But yeah, I hoped more.

And other thing that bothers me about this movie is that while it's taking place on "fantasy world", and it's based on Norse mythology, Marvel makes it too Science Fiction. The Dark Elves have really clichéd looking spaceships, and I'm pretty sure there were laser beams and stuff there. I mean yes, it takes place in space and all, but why make it too spacey? I like Science Fiction, but why ruin mythology with it?

☆☆☆
3 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment