Saturday 22 February 2014

"You exist to continue your existence. What's the point?" "What's the point of your existence?" "To feel."


Equilibrium takes place in fascist future, where there are no wars. Wars are prevented by basically not letting people feel anything by a certain drug. No anger, no hate, no rage, no wars. Also, no happiness, no love, but that's the price you got to pay. Clerics are in charge of trying to find the sense offenders, but what happens when a cleric accidentally breaks his medicine container, and isn't able to replace the medicine with another one? Of course, he starts to feel again.

Equilibrium was excellent science fiction movie, and Christian Bale did marvellous job. He is truly excellent actor. He's great while portraying a man with no emotions at all, he's great while portraying a man getting his emotions back, he's great at portraying those emotions when the character gets at least a bit used to them. Also, Bale is very easy on the eyes, without being too extremely gorgeous. He's a good looking guy, but in the way that it doesn't distract you too much - if you swing his way.

Equilibrium is also kind of the embodiment of the reason I love science fiction. There can be very much action, violence and blood, but also the plot can make you think about different kind of ethical questions. Like, you really have to think about the whole feelings thing while watching Equilibrium. Which one would you sacrifice? Would you sacrifice your feelings for the possibility of never having a war or any kind of killing ever again? Or would you want to have all the positive emotions, like love, but in return you'd have all the negative feelings. Human race could still start a war - but if there isn't war, does the peace feel like anything? Hmm? There are lot of important questions the human race needs to ask itself. Equilibrium kind of asks those questions without being too pushy, without pushing the questions to your face, like "huh, huh, what do you think?" 

I said, "you have to think about this while watching", well, that's not quite true. If you like to ponder stuff like that, then you have to think about it. If you can watch anything without thinking about ethical problems, then I guess you can watch this without thinking about anything either. But then again, what would be the point of watching movies, if you just watch it for the watching, and don't really ponder and think about stuff presented in it. I mean movies are art - at least some of them are. Art makes us think, art makes us feel. Which is why in this movie, all the art is not allowed. So let's enjoy art now that we can.

Am I being too... off topic here? I hope not, I just want to ponder about the stuff I was pondering while I watched the movie, that's all.

There was one fighting scene I really enjoyed. It was kind of a different gun fight. Too people with guns, but not shooting aimlessly like people usually do. It was kind of a mixture between a gun fight and a sword fight, they were trying to aim and prevent the other from aiming. It was really nice, it was really different. I don't see that in every movie. And usually I get annoyed if during a fight scene the characters talk, like they stop for a few seconds to say something. But here, too characters were basically practising and not really fighting, and almost like chitchatting while doing that. Since it was mostly practice, the talk made it seem like a real fight. Nothing was really said, nothing like "I know what you've done", but the kind of stuff that almost says the same. "You're thinking about if they know who did it." It's really passive aggressive fight scene. I like it.

Apparently there was a one giant plot hole, but it also was explained on IMDb. I was kind of hoping I'd read it and understand, but I'm seriously too tired. And I didn't even notice it before someone mentioned it. I don't know.

But I really liked Equilibrium. I recommend it to anyone who likes science fiction, who likes action and... maybe to people who like to ponder ethical stuff while watching science fiction and action.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
7 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment