Friday 14 February 2014

"Why can't I connect with people? Oh, right, it's because I'm dead."

IMDb mentioned "horror" as a genre. I'm not entirely sure if I agree, but I'm still going to tag it as one anyway.


I've been meaning to watching Warm Bodies for a while. Finally I did so. Warm Bodies takes place after / during zombie apocalypse, and the main character, R, is a zombie like any other - at least until he meets Julie. As soon as he sees her, something about him changes, and he puts his zombie instincts away, trying to keep her alive. And slowly, that same feeling, that same thing starts to change other zombies as well.

I actually liked the idea. One of my friend was really critical towards the concept, accusing the movie of necrophilia and such. But it's not like that, at all. And I liked the idea that zombies could start... basically curing themselves. And even though I usually hate the idea of "love conquering everything", I think it was nice in a movie like this. It was nice, because while it's being science fiction, something more human takes the place of science and medicines. It's nice. I also loved the concept of "good zombies" and "bad zombies". Good zombies being zombies like R, zombies who are changing. Bad zombies being more like brain eating skeletons. There's no hope for them anymore, which makes them... not like "good zombies".

Nicholas Hoult was amazing. I've seen him before in at least two movies, can't really remember them right now. But he did marvellous job portraying zombie, but also making that zombie just the right amount of human when it was necessary - slowly turning more human.

I thought that the music was amazing, and of course it was. Music was composed my Marco Beltrami, who is one of my favourites alongside with Hans Zimmer and so on. Marco Beltrami has also composed music in The Wolverine, Repomen and Carrie. He's brilliant.

One of my favourite things about this movie, though, was R's inner monologue. It was nice, because even though he was a zombie, his thoughts were kinda sarcastic, and just something a person of R's age could be thinking about in that kind of situation. And it was somehow natural, not like the writer would've tried too much to make R's inner monologue too funny. It wasn't funny, it was more like... tragically comic, you know, knowing his situation. It was self ironic and everything. It was something I'd hope that would be going in my head if I was a zombie. Hell, I hope I could have that kind of inner monologue even though I'm alive. That kind of thinking would produce many good tweets and better movie reviews.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
7 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment