Friday 11 April 2014

"I'm not a gangster. I'm a businessman whose commodity happens to be cocaine."


Layer Cake is about the drug business. A successful  cocaine dealer has a plan to earn money and then retire early. But then he gets two assignments from his boss - to find a daughter of his boss' old friend, and to find a buyer to 1,000,000 pills of ecstasy. And these two assignments drag him to shit. 

I watched this movie because I saw it in the library. I borrowed it, but never watched. Now I got the chance to watch it again, and I did. I was surprised to see it was directed by Matthew Vaughn. I like his work, he has directed Kick-Ass and X-Men First Class. He's good. And you could see his hand on Layer Cake too. Basically he doesn't stand out that much, but his movies are very good, and they have something special in them. I mean well, at least Layer Cake and Kick-Ass, I'm not so sure about XM:FC. 

I don't like Daniel Craig very much, at least I didn't like him as James Bond. That could've been because of I hate Bond's character. But I very much liked him in this movie. So I guess he can be better than I thought. I don't know, I should watch something else with him in it, so I could be sure. I'm just... trying not to watch so many movies just because certain actors are in them. I mean come on, that's often not very rewarding. One other thing I'd like to say about Craig is that he's a hot piece of ass. There were other actors I like in the movie, but maybe not in so big parts: Tom Hardy, Dexter Fletcher... Hell, George Harris was in that movie, though I had to go almost through the whole before I realised that he was in Order Of The Phoenix.

There's one thing about Layer Cake that was kinda weird. And it's not even that we never heard main character's name. I mean that's great. I mean narrator's name in Fight Club is never revealed but that's okay, it's not necessary info. Not always But what was weird is that I could not realise when the movie happened. Like there were small hints - it was after that, probably before that, but nothing more. Also, at the... well, not end but closer to the end than the beginning, it got pretty confusing. I couldn't keep track on characters or what they were doing etcetera.

Layer Cake was good, but I don't know... Maybe it didn't really stand out. It's worth watching, but maybe not for second time. I mean in the end there was a thing (trying not to spoil so) similar to the end of Looper, which made me love the movie. But in Layer Cake it was quick, it was just like that. So it didn't really make impression like in Looper. Of course it was sudden and like woah, didn't see that coming, but the audience doesn't have enough time to deal with it.

☆☆☆☆☆
5 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment