Thursday 17 April 2014

"The human whose name is written in this note shall die."


On this blog I've made it really clear that I love movies and books that sort of force you to think about philosophical or ethical issues. So it's not a surprise that I'm very fond of Death Note - manga and the live action movies. I haven't watched the anime yet, because I've only found dubbed stuff, and I'm not interested in listening to Light or L speak in English.

I'm pretty sure most of people are somehow familiar with the general idea of Death Note, but I'll explain it as quickly as I can. Light Yagami accidentally finds a notebook, which says that if you write someone's name on the notebook they die. Light starts using the notebook to kill criminals under the name of Kira, to create a new world without crime. While he gets a lot of followers, not everyone is happy with the fact that someone has the power to kill people just like that. One of the world's best detectives, mysterious L, starts to investigate the case, and his goal is to capture Kira.

And of course it's not that simple. But the best thing about Death Note is that it's not filled with action or violence. It's mostly a mind game between two great minds. 

I've seen both live action movies previously, and I've even written a review of them. However, I don't have the energy to start looking for the original reviews. I don't even know if I did reviews of them individually or both movies at the same time. Because right now I'm doing reviews of them both using only this one post.

I think the actors chosen are absolutely perfect for the roles. I only have doubts with Erika Toda as Misa Amane. I love the character, but I'm not sure if Toda was a right choice for Misa. And where most actors actually looked like their characters, Toda doesn't look like Misa Amane. And furthermore, Misa is blonde in the manga, but in the movie she was brunette. That was most likely Erika Toda's natural hair colour. I'm not sure if Nana Kitade does acting, but I think she would've looked more like Misa.

I don't really know whose side am I on when I read or watch Death Note. Partly I think Light is doing the right thing, you know. I mean he could do much worse with Death Note, but he chooses to eliminate criminals. But sometimes I think he goes over the top with everything. And you just know when he does things too fast, and thus screws so much shit up. But I don't think I would be doing what Light is, if I had Death Note to myself. To be honest, I wouldn't know what to do. If I found one lying around, I would definitely keep it, be it's owner, waiting for it to become handy or something. That sounds horrible, but the point is, maybe I wouldn't even use it. Maybe I would just keep it - maybe by doing that I'd keep it away from other people, who would do much worse things with it.

I don't even know, if Light is a very likeable character. L is way more likeable. And well, L has a lot more fangirls in the fandom compared to Light. I don't know what makes L so likeable. It's probably his quirky and adorable behaviour. I don't know. 

I wish I'd ponder more about ethical philosophy behind Death Note than talk about Erika Toda's hair or how cute L is considered to be. But I guess the moral behind the story is... that human beings shouldn't play god. (Actually I thought about using that same moral in the story I'm doing for Camp NaNoWriMo.)

☆☆☆☆☆☆
6 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment