Saturday 3 May 2014

"Julian, who the fuck do you think you're talking to? You're a junkie."


Less Than Zero is based on a novel written by Bret Easton Ellis, who has written also American Psycho. While the original novel apparently does not have a clear plot, the movie version is centred around Clay, Blair and Julian. They are old friends, but Clay hasn't spoken to Blair or Julian since he came back from college, and realised Blair has been fucking Julian. Six months later, Blair asks Clay to visit his old hometown, which Clay does. What he didn't know was how deep in trouble his old friend Julian is.

Well I mostly watched this movie because James Spader is in it. I think I'm starting to have problems.

But Spader wasn't the only actor I knew! Nuh-uh! Of course there's Robert Downey Jr. who played Julian. He did marvellous job, as always. He's very good. I... there was a time I didn't like him, but now I guess I'm starting to like him again. I blame 80's movies.  Andrew McCarthy played Clay, and I've seen him before in.. Pretty in Pink. I don't like him. I don't know, maybe he's a good actor, but something about him is not very... likeable. I guess it's the characters.

I really don't know what to say. Well, the story was interesting, but it... it was so different from the text I'm used to reading, you know, texts written by Bret Easton Ellis. But then again, apparently, the plot was changed very much. Maybe I should try to get the real story and read that. As soon as I get my reading problems fixed. 

Again, I find myself... not so sure what I should say. I mean I wasn't ready to write this review, but I felt like I had to. The movie was nothing special. I mean it was alright but... doesn't stand out, you know? Like Layer Cake.

One thing bothered met he most: Clay goes to Rip, the drug dealer I suppose, and tells him to stay away from Julian. I mean sure, sure, sure: drug dealers are bad and blah blah blah, but I don't think it's their job to prevent drug users from.... using. I mean they make money selling drugs. If they don't sell drugs to a certain person, somebody else will. So I don't understand Clay going up to Rip. I mean Julian was the real problem here. Of course Rip wasn't exactly a good guy, but then again I understand that 50,000 dollars is a lot of money. If someone owes you that much, you want to get them back.

☆☆☆☆☆☆
6 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment