Thursday 22 May 2014

"Side by side to end this war, before it ever begins..."


IMDb claims that the premiere of this movie here in Finland is 23rd. Anyway... I went to see it yesterday. So IMDb is not always correct.

After the Sentinels were created, mutants started to vanish, until only a fistful is left. Sentinels have also started attacking humans carrying the X-gene, so basically only pure humans are surviving. The world is almost completely destroyed, but those few mutants are still fighting for their existence. Their last chance is to send Logan, a.k.a. Wolverine to the past, where he can try to change the situation which resulted into Sentinels taking over. But can Logan change the future in time, or is this the end of mutant race?

The closer the 21st got the more nervous I was. Mostly because Internet is flooded with negative comments about this - most of them given before seeing the movie. Mostly those comments are about the biggest change in the story - well probably was not really the biggest, I mean I've read the thing. People are getting annoyed how Wolverine replaced Kitty Pryde. In the original story, Kitty was sent in the past. Now Kitty is the one sending Logan in the past, which is kind of weird, I have to admit - her character was given powers she doesn't have. 

But even if I push aside my love for Logan's character, I can totally see why he is made the hero. He is the best known character, and basically having a well known character as the protagonist means fans who haven't read the comics can also enjoy the movie without being bothered because they don't know the protagonist at all. And basically - Wolverine means money to the firm. And that's the point of making movies - money. So of course they use Wolverine. And I'm glad they do. He is my favourite character, and Hugh Jackman is easy on the eyes.

The movie was just as good as I expected - probably even better, since I was very worried. I'm pretty sure I had the goofiest faces when I watched the movie.

Movie didn't actually introduce new characters, apart from Peter Maximoff, whose story wasn't even told properly, only implied. ("My mom knew a guy who could do that.") But otherwise there were few new mutants in the very few mutants fighting in the future, and we didn't get to know them much. Most of them were called by their names, though, but there was nothing specifically mentioned about their powers - we just saw them and we have to just assume that's all there is to know. (That's not true to. They told nothing about Bishop. I don't even know much about the character but I know enough to know that there was more than what was shown.) So I guess X-Men movies almost always introduce too few mutants or too many of them. (X-Men Origins: Wolverine. So many new characters.)

Other thing I noticed was that... it was like X-Men Origins: Wolverine had never happened. Whenever glimpses were shown on Wolverine's past, it was always from X2, never from X-men Origins. That was kinda weird. But maybe the director had noticed how shit Origins was. I mean, it was full of lies. 

Anyway, I liked the movie. And fuck yeah, I'm going to go see it again. I felt so alive after seeing it. 

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
7 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment