Sunday 14 December 2014

"Have you ever confused a dream with life? Or stolen something when you have the cash? Have you ever been blue? Or thought your train moving while sitting still?"


Girl, Interrupted is based on a story of Susanna Kaysen, and her 18 month stay in a mental hospital back in the 60's. 

First of all, I had seen the trailer of Girl, Interrupted what feels like million years ago, but I just didn't watch it then. I don't know if I was interested then, to be honest. I mean at that time I was about 13, and when I was 13 I didn't give a shit about drama. I don't remember what I watched, but not drama. And even though I was in a dark place when I was 13 (though not darker than now) I didn't want to watch Girl, Interrupted. Maybe it was because I felt like I was depressed, I really don't know. But last night I came home from our last show, and I wanted to watch something, because, well, last shows are last shows, which means it was full of tears and hugging. And I wanted to get my mind off it. But I didn't really have anything to watch, or at least it felt like that. So I decided I would finally watch Girl, Interrupted.

I have said before that I don't recognise directors, except for Tarantino and Kubrick, and it happened again during this movie. I've seen two movies from James Mangold before, but I don't recognise his style - does he have one? Then again the movies I've seen before have been a romantic comedy (Kate & Leopold) and super hero action movie (The Wolverine), which probably explains how I don't recognise anything characteristic from James Mangold. Anyway, Mangold did a good job, though it makes me wonder, how much better or different would the movie be, if it was directed by a woman. I mean most of the characters are female, at least all the important characters are. I mean a female director could've given the movie something James Mangold can't. Just a thought.

The name Girl, Interrupted first made me think about some kind of psychological horror or a thriller. If I had known it was based on true experiences, maybe I hadn't given much thought to the name. But yep, Girl, Interrupted wasn't a thriller or a drama. It was psychological in a way, though, but what else can be expected from a movie taking place in a mental institution? So maybe it wasn't "scary", which was my first thought. But it was very agonising and distressing most through the movie. I don't know what exactly gave the distress and agony to the movie. Maybe it was the story, the atmosphere, acting, cinematography... Maybe it was all of those things. But the outcome was amazingly distressing. I mean I wasn't feeling exactly good last night and the movie made me feel worse. But not bad worse, like shit, that was a bad movie. It was a good worse. At least it made me feel something, and tha'ts what movies are supposed to do to all of us. If a movie doesn't make you feel anything, the movie is bad, even though the story would be very good. And bored isn't a good feeling though. 

Acting in this movie was brilliant. Winona Ryder was amazing and convincing. Her performance was agonising to watch because she was so good. Angelina Jolie, who I adore so much, was amazing and terrifying at the same time. It's no wonder she got awards for her performance, she was truly amazing. But if I compare - I don't want to, but still - I liked Ryder's performance a bit more. Mostly because she was easy to relate to. This was also the first movie I saw Whoopi Goldberg in (unless you count the Muppet movie, and funnily enough I don't count it), and for some reason she reminded me a lot of Morgan Freeman. I mean there was something so peaceful about her that I always connect with Morgan Freeman. 

But I don't regret seeing Girl, Interrupted even though it made me feel worse than I already felt. It was a brilliant movie, and it's worth seeing second, third, tenth time, and you can bet I will watch it at least that third time. I recommend it to mostly everyone, but don't blame me if it makes you also feel a bit bad about... well... things.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
10 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment