Tuesday 30 December 2014

"I'm handling the Aaron Stampler case." "Hmm, The Butcher Boy." "Yes, thank you, I forgot his real name."


A "hotshot" lawyer takes a case, where an altar boy is accused of murdering an archbishop. The boy was found covered in blood, but he claims to have blacked out. 

I remember that I just wrote a review of The Fracture, and I said I don't usually watch lawyer-crime-case-court-whatever movies, and yeah, they usually do have the same principle, and they go the same way. Yeah. Well, why did I want to see Primal Fear? Well it was Edward Norton's film debut. I mean I usually don't want to see my favourites' debuts because, hey, it's usually a small part, understandably. But Norton was nominated for the academy award for this role, so of course I had to see it.

And now, I'm not denying that Primal Fear would be different from all the other... this kind of justice system movies. I mean the structure was similar to everything I've seen - which means The Fracture and 2,5 seasons of Boston Legal. Primal Fear wasn't even darker than The Fracture, and to be honest, The Fracture was more intelligent, since even though it would look like an obvious case, but then there is no evindence. Well in Primal Fear, there's no motive and, well, not really evidence, but the case seems like a sure thing. I would like to explain more what happens, because if the case is like a sure thing all through the movie, then what is the point? Well, what indeed.

I didn't like most of the characters. I mean everyone seemed to be annoying in their way. Okay, Aaron (the boy accused of murder) was probably the only one I liked, but that was mostly because he seemed adorable and charming. And that doesn't really give depth to a character. Something else does, though, but um... 

God, I wish I could spoil the movie. I mean from the start it was boring but then it got really interesting and man, the movie fucked me up. Seriously, I don't remember the last time this has happened, maybe it hasn't. This movie will fool you once, twice... who knows. I don't even know what to say about it. I feel like I should write much more and go to depths but I can't I'm still a bit "Woah", I mean oh my god. 

Did I like this movie? Hmm, maybe not. But at this point, it's not even about liking something or not, it's about the emotions the movie makes you feel - if any. And feeling really fucked up and cofused is an excellent feeling for a movie to make you feel so, yes, absolutely this is a very good movie and worth watching. I don't know if it will be that amazing for the second time watching it but at least for the first time it's astonishing. And, the best part, the movie doesn't hurry. It's not throwing all the twist into your face as quickly as possible. All the plot twist creep up on you and that way they really, really startle you. 

I mean I could give this movie a full 10. It's probably worth it. But then again I didn't actually like it that much, but this is the least I can give it:

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
9 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment