Monday 29 December 2014

"May those who love us, love us. And those who don't love us - may God turn their hearts. And if He cannot turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, so that we may know them by their limping."


Brian and Jake, a catholic priest and a rabbi, have been friends since their childhood, Their life gets a new twist, when their childhood friend Anna decides to visit New York. Both Brian and Jake fall in love with Anna, but how can a rabbi ever date someone who is not a Jew, and how can a catholic priest date, well, anybody?

Actually there would be no way for me to watch a movie like this. Like romantic comedy is almost too bad as itself, but mix it with religion? Pardon my French, but fuck no. However, how could I turn down a movie that's actually directed by Edward Norton? Like I've seen Edward Norton act, and the man is amazing. So of course I wanted to see if he's any good at directing. I mean I've watched a movie directed by Josh Radnor and another one directed by Sir Anthony Hopkins because of the same reasons. I love it when actors start to direct things, I mean they surely have experience and so on. But then again Josh Radnor and sir Anthony Hopkins had also written their movies, so there's that, their movies are so fully their movies. Keeping the Faith was written by Stuart Blumberg.

Well first of all Keeping the Faith is almost so purely a romantic comedy. I mean, the romance was not quite romantic, until it was basically over very tragically and then there was this big romantic gesture and the happily ever after. And of course the comedy part came mostly from one goofy, clumsy character, but to be honest even though it was much fiddling, I actually laughed out loud at many parts. And usually when a comedy consists of a lot of fiddling (Really, I have no idea if that's the right phrase, can I trust dictionaries anymore?) it's mostly embarrassing, Good examples are Fawlty Towers (Very embarrassing) and Starter for 10 (Too embarrassing, never watch Starter for 10). I guess there has to be just the perfect amount of fiddling for it to be funny. Even though religion played a big part in the story, it was also very well blended in. It didn't really stand out any more than, well, any different job the characters could have. And by stand out it didn't seem more annoying like "ugh this is a religious movie about religious people". Of course it did stand out in a way, because if you are a priest or a rabbi, then religion is a big part of your life, I'm not denying that. I'm not sure how to put it into words but yeah. 

I never would've thought that religion would actually give an extra spice to a romantic comedy. But it really gave the story something a lot different. Of course there probably has been a movie about a rabbi falling in love with a non-Jew woman, and a movie about catholic priest falling in love with someone. But it's actually weirdly nice to see the two  combined. Of course I hate love triangles as much as anyone. I was actually hoping for some sort of polyamory. And even though the ending probably didn't hint about polyamory, I can always pretend that's exactly what happened. 

I wouldn't exactly call Keeping the Faith best of its genre or anything. It was good movie, and it made me feel good, but then again it wasn't anything truly special - especially when it didn't have that polyamorous relationship. Still it's worth watching. And I really kinda hope I would've written more but then again I already wrote quite a lot, and I don't know what else to write about. So anyway..

☆☆☆☆☆
5 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment