Thursday 25 December 2014

"I love you, but you don't know what you're talking about."


A young boy escapes the camp of khaki scouts to run away to an adventure with his crush.

That's maybe the shortest plot summary I've ever written.

I wanted the watch Moonrise Kingdom mostly because it's directed by Wes Anderson. I've only seen one movie from Anderson before, but that's one of my favourite movies. Which makes me want to tell you, if you haven't seen Grand Budapest Hotel, go watch it, immediately. I saw Grand Budapest Hotel few months from now, if I recall correctly but the day before yesterday I watched it again with my mother, and that's why I decided to watch Moonrise Kingdom.

First of all the best thing about these two movies by Wes Anderson is the fairytale -like aesthetic atmosphere, that is created by the wonderful use of colours. I've never seen anyone use colours so well before, even though colours are also close to perfection in many works of Bryan Fuller (especially TV shows Hannibal and Pushing Daisies). But colours in Wes Anderson's movies aren't close to perfection, they are perfection. Especially light and pastel colours are amazing, like the light pink colour of the Grand Budapest and also the greens and blues in Moonrise Kingdom.

Then the story of Moonrise Kingdom... Even though love story of two about from 10 to 13-year-olds (I'm really bad at figuring someone's age so I have no idea how old the characters were) is not actually very... Well I'd sort of be afraid that the writer would get it somehow wrong. And Moonrise Kingdom was written by Wes Anderson and Roman Coppola, and both are old men, far from the age of the characters Sam and Suzy. I mean grown-ups writing a story like this, they could make the kids too innocent or not innocent enough. However, I think Moonrise Kingdom was quite successful on that part. The characters were kids and nothing more or nothing less. Of course few parts made them seem wiser than most adults in the story, but how is that bad? And it was wonderful how the romance between the two wasn't at all belittled. I mean it could be too easy to give the idea that "Well the characters are kids, what to they know, they might fall out of love with each other, because they are kids and they don't yet know everything life has to offer", etcetera. I admit, I usually am guilty of such cynicism, but I'm glad this movie didn't try to ruin the wonders of Sam and Suzy's romance. And also it wasn't made too sexual, only how kids would actually do that. 

The casting was again amazing. I mean all the children were chosen very well and Jared Gilman and Kara Hayward were perfect for their part. And I love how some more famous actors were also chosen there, like Bruce Willis and Edward Norton. (Also how come it's always Wes Anderson's movies that remind me how much I like Edward Norton? I mean he was wonderful in Grand Budapest Hotel and here his character was probably my favourite.)

Maybe Moonrise Kingdom wasn't as good as Grand Budapest Hotel, But then again Grand Budapest Hotel was the sort of masterpiece I wasn't expecting Moonrise Kingdom to be as good. But it's still worth of seeing at least once.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
8 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment