Monday 29 December 2014

"I'll be in my office, the big one with a view!" "They all have views, you dumb shit!" "Not looking this way, cupcake!"


A beloves kids show host Rainbow Randolph is fired, and he is then replaced by Smoochy the Rhino. Randolph starts planning his revenge, while Sheldon Mopes, the creator of Smoochy, is annoying many kind of people with being so upright. 

I saw the cover of the movie when searching for other movies and I almost couldn't believe my eyes. The movie seemed absolutely ridiculous - the story, the costume, everything in it seemed like a fucking joke.

I thought though, that this was the first movie I saw that was directed by Danny DeVito. Well, apparently he has also directed Throw Momma from the Train. (And well Matilda, but I have never seen the whole thing, even though I should (from obvious reasons)) And to be honest that explains a lot. I was very young when I saw that movie, and well I was kinda drawn to its dark humour, the same humor that is present in Death to Smoochy. Of course I don't remember much from that movie.. But the humour in Death to Smoochy was really, really dark. But I liked it, mostly. 

Best thing about the whole movie was how it had two sides: firstly there's the kids show part. Like everything is colourful and they are singing silly, meaningful songs (My favourite being My stepdad is not mean (He's just adjusting)), And then again there's the almost gangster movie -like side to it, where everything is dark and everything is straight from all those crime thriller movies. And it's amazing how well it actually goes with the kids show vibe. It's weird, yes, but it's still amazing.

There's something weird about Sheldon Mopes' character. I mean he's something most movie watchers would find terribly annoying, being all non-drinking, non-swearing, all for healthy food and against selling out and all that. He's a character that we could find very annoying, but it's the way he's written and portrayed - almost mockingly. We know nobody is like that. But then again you got to admire the poor lad, though, I mean trying to be all that pure is probably hard in a corrupted world like that. But of course he was very much... human, he wasn't just all goody goody kids show host, but lost his temper at few points and all that. So he had his flaws, but maybe the part that would annoy most viewers is how good he tried to be. Then again that should be admirable, but in movies it might be just plain annoying (says someone who adores Charles Xavier because how good he's trying to be so.)

Of course the actors were well chosen, I can't say anything bad about anybody. And I have to confess, this is the first movie I've seen Robin Williams in. Yeah, it's weird, and I don't even know why I haven't watched any of his works before. I mean if I should've watched anything it's Dead Poets Society for millions of reasons. But I haven't, but I will. Danny DeVito of course was absolutely weird choice for his role, but he was so good in it. And Edward Norton rocked guy-liner and pink clothes.

So was this movie absolutely ridiculous? Oh yes it absolutely was ridiculous. That's why I liked it, I mean partly I was thinking "Oh god what am I even watching", but it was definitely worth it. 

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
9 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment