Friday 28 April 2017

30 Day Movie Challenge - Day 05

Day 5 - Your favourite drama movie: Birdman or the Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance


This one was really hard to decide. How many different choices did I have? I couldn't even begin to count them. Drama is such a big genre and most of the movies go to this genre in one way or another. And when I'm looking through the highest rated drama movies it's like trying to decide the best ice cream flavour when you like so many different kinds, and what you choose really depends on the day.

So how did I choose Birdman from the crowd of amazing drama movies? When I first saw it, it had a tremendous effect on me. Of course it's in a way pretentious, and it's very hard for me to like obviously pretentious movies, but there just is something about Birdman that speaks to me. It's mostly how it plays on reality and illusion, and it's never quite certain what is real and what's not. Also the struggle with ego. 

Obviously, like many movies about Hollywood, Birdman is in a way a self-wank but it's a wonderful self-wank with amazing dialogue, cinematography and soundtrack. It's tragic and funny at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment