Tuesday 16 May 2017

30 Day Movie Challenge - Day 23

Day 23: Your favourite character from any movie: Francis Begbie


I mean this is a hard one since my favourites change depending on what movie I love at the moment. And at the moment I love Trainspotting and T2 Trainspotting and I love Robert Carlyle so of course I'm going to say my favourite character is Francis Begbie.


Don't get me wrong, Francis Begbie is an arsehole. He's absolutely awful, and in real life would be so unpredictable it would be terrifying. So no way am I saying Francis Begbie is someone I'd like to meet and be friends with. No way. But there's always something fascinating about the bad characters, you know? Villains, antagonists, or just that one violent shitty friend who still 20 years later wants to kill you.

And especially when reading the book it's clear that Begbie has a certain charm, it's just that most of the time he doesn't use it since why would he use it on his friends? But there was at least one scene in the novel where he was flirting with a woman and I was like whoa, he's really... charming. Almost made me forget he had been abusive to his pregnant girlfriend in the previous pages. Irvine Welsh has written Begbie so well it's incredible. 

And he's the only man capable of rocking that moustache. 



No comments:

Post a Comment